Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jan 24, 2009January 24th, 2009, 10:58 am EST
as i have said THE STEELHEAD ARE COMING! the backing i use came off a reel i bought with it already on. it's more like string. i got a friend who uses amnesia and no fly line-he's a bait fisherman. i also used fireline this last fall for some trolling for salmon. the problem i'm in is i cant get much backing on my new reels. and i am thinking about going to amnesia, or something similar, because it has a much smaller diameter. what do you all think? i apoligize if you guys have already had this discussion. i looked through the threads but didn't have too much time.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Jan 24, 2009January 24th, 2009, 12:41 pm EST
If you are using dacron you could just switch to gel-spun I think you can get something like 50% more on. I've been thinking of switching to amnesia(no fly line ) myself for short line nymphing.
jeff
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 25, 2009January 25th, 2009, 4:09 am EST
Jeff, I use PowerPro gel spun line for my backing. It's very thin, and makes very good backing. I make a loop in the end by whipping a loop with gsp tying thread after putting a bit of epoxy in the connecting wraps. I use a rod winding finish with a loop of gsp to finish the wraps very smoothly, and put some super glue over the wraps. The wraps are very thin and never hang up in the guides. I connect this to a loop in the end of my flyline. So far, it's bombproof; several big fish have taken me into my backing with no failures. It's very easy to change fly line later, just put a loop in the end of the fly line. (I do this a different way from the way I put the loop in the Powerpro, tapering the end of a section of stripped and partly raveled fly line and pulling it back into the coated core after putting a bit of super glue on the part to be pulled into the core to form the loop. I can send you directions (from Fly Fisherman Magazine, I think, an old issue) if you want to try it.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Jan 27, 2009January 27th, 2009, 3:07 am EST
louis, I'd like to see the directions when you have the time. Currently I just Nail not my line to the backing and I know it is just asking for trouble. Unfortunately I seldom see my backing but it would be nice to have a good knot when the time comes.
jeff
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 27, 2009January 27th, 2009, 5:33 am EST
Jeff,

I'm sure a nail knot works just fine with standard backing. My system is probably not any more secure--but it makes line changes a snap, and does allow for a good smooth connection to the gel spun backing. I don't know if a nail knot will work with that stuff; it's small diameter and a bit slippery. They recommend special knots with it. I'll send you some photocopies of ways to make loops along with my flies if I can locate the articles (I save all flyfishing magazines and have most articles indexed; that's how crazy I am).
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jan 27, 2009January 27th, 2009, 8:21 am EST
so i was at retail outlet shopping for amnesia, thinking i was going to use it as backing, the fly guy tells me don't do that it will explode your reel. he's telling me that when a large fish is on and taking line(backing) the line tightens on the reel or compresses the line when amnesia is used, and results in a lot of pressure on the sides of the reel, and will literally push them out. where as normal backing will pack down. hmmm.
Dr_BlueDun
Long Island NY

Dr_BlueDun on Jan 31, 2009January 31st, 2009, 8:35 am EST
I would concur as to the use of Amnesia line---it will tend to spring on you in a tightly wound situation--I think it is an absolute horror on spinning reels. I use Cortland backing line or Cabela's backing line and if you don't trust a nail knot then use a double UNI you cannot go wrong with that knot. Power Pro is great line but, too expensive to waste as a backing line IMHO. While we are on knots, what are you using for the fly-to-tippet knot? I have found that in recent years with fluoro tippet materials the old double Clinch knot isn't doing it, too many "unravels." I began using the Orvis knot last season and with big Salmon taking the fly quite aggressively, have not had an (unravel) "break-off." Just an extra two cents.
"Doc"
Sandfly
tioga co. pa.

Sandfly on Jan 31, 2009January 31st, 2009, 10:24 am EST
what size line and reel are you using ?? How much backing does the reel call for and strenth ??
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Feb 2, 2009February 2nd, 2009, 3:00 am EST
I have the correct line wt to reel. I have purchased two set-ups a 5wt and a 8 wt. the 5wt was a l.l. bean 7ft combo. I am using the line from that combo but not the reel or the pole. the 8wt is a st croix combo with a new reel. when i transferred the line, neatly, i dropped some of the backing. the problem is those were small arbor reels and these are larger. i can hear some of you moaning about the combos. but what you don't know is these were my first rod and reel purchases and i got em at the same time. the 5wt still in the box. the 8wt with rod/reel case like new, marked $40 and $50 at a pawn shop i got em both for 75 out the door. the 8wt is nice only thing i don't like is it's a two piece. the 7ft is nice for some small streams here MI and casts nice. oh, no, i won't be using the 5wt for steelhead. although i have read of someone fishing steelhead with every wt down to a 2. I think i'll try the gel spun.

Quick Reply