Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 10, 2020September 10th, 2020, 12:02 am EDT
Haven’t tied an Albright knot before( at least , not that I can recall) and have had no reason to learn over the past few seasons as , recently- as a time saving measure - I’ve been purchasing reels with line and backing prespooled. However , I was prepping my gear for the upcoming salmon run and noticed nicks in one part of my flyline so I excused that small segment and retired and secured to the backing . After watching a YouTube vid on how to tie an Albright knot , I struggled w it a bit , knots coming out perpendicular rather than parallel and in line with “ the pull”. This , I finally resolved when figuring out that you have to make a final pass up and through the loop when securing. However , when pulling the knot taut , I noticed some of the flyline coating ripped off. Is that due to the flyline being old or is that going to happen inevitably no matter what ?

Quick Reply