Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jklina
Danville PA

Jklina on Jul 30, 2011July 30th, 2011, 10:32 am EDT
Hello All,

I spent my summers growing up down the shore fishing in salt water. I loved it very much and miss it. I've since moved to North Central PA, in Danville, PA and would like very much to get back into fishing again. Since I've moved I heard that I was fortunate enough to be in a location where there are wonderful trout streams. After hearing this I went to the library and checked out a book called, "Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches", by Charles Meck. This only made the urge to learn Fly Fishing greater.

While there is plenty of really good information in the book I still feel like there's a lot of things that I won't be able to learn properly unless I get out there and find someone who could instruct me. For example, I've read that I should have someone teach me casting and that I should even try a couple different poles before committing to buying one.

I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the North Central PA area could recommend a guide or even suggest a way for me to get started. I appreciate any help that I could get!

Thank you for looking!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2011July 30th, 2011, 2:05 pm EDT
Try Fishing Creek Angler. I believe it has a good reputation in the area, though I live pretty far away, near Harrisburg. Barry and Cathy Beck started the shop, if I'm not mistaken, and they are well known in the fly fishing world.

http://www.fishingcreekangler.com/

Ask for a lesson; it's the best way to get started. Ask them to let you try different rods and to show you the basics. After years of fly fishing I still take lessons and learn new tricks from guides and other flyfishers.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 30, 2011July 30th, 2011, 2:46 pm EDT
Just me, Louis...activating your link.
Jklina
Danville PA

Jklina on Jul 30, 2011July 30th, 2011, 5:39 pm EDT
Thanks for the lead. Will definitely check them out.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jul 30, 2011July 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm EDT
after you find out how much guides cost, you might need some alternatives. here are some more ideas:

half a day with a guide--you'll get plenty to be going on with in the way of instruction. if you can dance, you'll pick up casting quickly.

Trout Unlimited and other conservation/fishing clubs often have helpful members to talk to

lots of big box sporting goods shops have fly fishing events with casting demonstrations/lessons

and don't be afraid to acquire a modestly priced outfit and some flies and just go to it. this is one sport you really can do solo and still learn. videos to watch and a small camera to take videos of yourself can help too.

find some bluegills to practice casting to--they are wonderful motivation because if they miss or you miss, they'll be back to try again.

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Jklina
Danville PA

Jklina on Jul 31, 2011July 31st, 2011, 5:44 am EDT
Thanks for the ideas Casey, I'll keep an eye out for groups and events to check out as well as poke around on youtube for some videos.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 1, 2011August 1st, 2011, 10:22 am EDT
Josh,

What I think Casey is trying to say is, "It's all about the journey, not the destination..." So just be patient and enjoy the ride.

I have an old friend that would tell me that there were only two types of fly fishermen. Those about to give up on the sport and fanatics! So, if you find yourself leaning towards the fanatic side there is more info out there than you will ever be able to get caught up on anyway so relax..."A journey of a thousand miles always begins with the first step..."

Where in the hell did that just come from?! Welcome to the asylum...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 14, 2011August 14th, 2011, 4:46 pm EDT
Trout Unlimited clubs generally offer free casting clinics. Searching the internet and googling up flycasting would provide you info. Learning to cast and line control is the essence. Get the basic fundamentals down, and practice committing them to memory/motor skills. From there it is getting out on the water, and fly fishing. Every time to go you should pick up something valuable. Start with the basic flies recommended for the waters you fish, and build from there. A 9' 5wt in a med. fast action rod is a good all around trout rod to own. A decent outfit doesn't have to cost a bunch. For $100 Cortland puts together a great package of rod/reel, their top 444 flyline (start with a floating flyline which they provide) leader, backing...it is all in the package, but there are other outfits you can put together at a reasonable price.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 26, 2012May 26th, 2012, 8:57 pm EDT
"from there to the top of the mountain lies some of the best water I have ever fished, and it is sort of a secret I guess cause not many fish it."

Yea, that was before you posted this response.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 27, 2012May 27th, 2012
"..PA spends more money on stocking trout in that area than some European countries have today.."

You are probably right about that! Let's write our congressman and tell them we want all trout stocking, in moving waters, to stop if they have the water quality to support wild trout.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CAuletta
CAuletta's profile picture
Westchester County, NY

CAuletta on Jun 7, 2012June 7th, 2012, 8:39 am EDT
You should check to see if your local Trout Unlimited offers a fly fishing school. Those are reasonably priced and you can't beat the amount of experience your instructor(s) may have.
-Chris

Quick Reply