Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Music321
Music321 on Jun 3, 2013June 3rd, 2013, 7:12 pm EDT
I'm new to fly fishing, and can cast a fly rod. I have 30 years experience spin fishing, however. I'm wondering what type of outfit to get. As it happens, I have an expensive 4wt 9ft orvis graphite rod, but no other equipment.

I think that this rod might be less than ideal, while being "too much" rod for me.

I can't imagine that I'll be casting much, as I'll be fishing (where I live) streams surrounded by hardwoods, though there are streams in softwood forests up north.

I don't want to go shorter, because then I would have to do much more casting. I'm interested in the Tenkara rods. They're simple and easy to use. The ONLY downsides I can see is that:

1. If I happen to be in the rare situation where I need to make a cast over 22 ft, I'm out of luck.

2. The rod, though it collapses to 22in, is 12 ft long!

Any ideas? thanks.

Quick Reply