Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LMarshall
MA & NH

LMarshall on May 8, 2010May 8th, 2010, 3:53 am EDT
Tenkara Outing:
The Deerfield R. and Dunbar Brook, Rowe MA
Saturday April 15th 2010, 9:30am-4:00pm

An open and informal gathering for those interested in Japanese tenkara fly-fishing to take place on the mountain streams of the Hoosac Range in Northwestern Massachusetts. All are welcome!
This is an opportunity for anyone interested in tenkara to learn about this simple, yet subtle and effective fishing method. For those already experienced in tenkara, this is a great chance to meet other tenkara anglers, exchange ideas, and fish some classic mountain streams for wild brook trout. I'll look forward to seeing you on the stream!

- Laurent Marshall

Directions:

- The Dunbar Brook Trailhead parking lot is located on River Road north of the Fife Brook Dam in Rowe, MA.

Points South: from I-91 N take Exit 26 to MA-2 W, after passing through the town of Charlemont MA, turn right onto Zoar Rd., Zoar Rd. becomes River Rd. Approximately 1 mile after passing the Bear Swamp Power Station Visitors Center, the Dunbar Brook Trailhead will be on your left.

Points East: From VT-9/NH-9 W take VT-100 S, in Readsboro VT turn left onto Tunnel St., after crossing into MA, Tunnel St. becomes Readsboro Rd., Readsboro Rd. becomes River Rd., after 1.7 miles the Dunbar Brook Trailhead will be on your right.

Points West: NY-2 E becomes MA-2 E, in Florida MA turn left onto Whitcomb Hill Rd., after 2.1 miles turn left onto River Rd.

Points North: either I-91 S, or VT-7 S will get you to VT-9. If you are coming from VT-7, follow VT-9 E, to VT-8 S, and turn left onto VT-100, then turn right onto Tunnel St. in Readsboro VT, and continue to the Dunbar Brook Trailhead in MA.

I recomend taking a close look at the area with Google Maps (maps.google.com) or the Acme Mapper (mapper.acme.com) before you leave, and bring a map! Cell phone service in this area is spotty at best; Verizon customers are likely not to recieve any signal at all, while AT&T customers may be fortunate to get some weak coverage.

Contact Information:

Laurent Marshall
Cell: 603-801-4420
e-mail: lmarshall@clarku.edu

TenkaraUSA has graciously offered demo rods for this trip, so don't worry if you don't have a rod.

Check out http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=323&start=50 for updates.

Quick Reply