Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionLower Susquehanna
Time of Day1:00 - 4:00
Fish CaughtFifteen smallmouth 15" - 19"

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 13, 2009October 13th, 2009, 10:03 am EDT
Had a great day and all the fish fought like demons.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 13, 2009October 13th, 2009, 1:03 pm EDT
Oh yeah, glad you found them Matt. Clousers?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 17, 2009October 17th, 2009, 12:49 am EDT
Great fish! I have to spend more time on smallmouths next year. Is the Susquehanna rebounding from its woes of a few years ago? I know Bob Clouser hasn't booked trips for a few years.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 23, 2009October 23rd, 2009, 8:43 am EDT
Hello Lastchance,

The river still fly fishes poorly from Harrisburg south through the summer but as soon as there are a few cool nights and the river temperature drops the bass seem to really turn on.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply