Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPalmer
Specific LocationOff Rt 67
Dates FishedNov. 4th, 2007
Time of Day1pm
Fish CaughtSkunked
Conditions & HatchesNo hatches, overcast sky. Water 58 deg. clear but normal tea color. Water level was low, but better then 2 weeks ago.

Details and Discussion

Hallico
Woonsocket, RI

Hallico on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 4:59 am EST
River flow was better then 2 weeks ago, but nothing was biting. Warning to all: Parking lots off Rt-67 are being used for a lot more then fishing! Looked like drug deals! This in the parking lot near the boy scout camp and the other one about 400 yards up the road!

Highly recommend you don't do this river alone! I used to, but it no longer seems safe in those areas. Closer to town is better, but no decent place to park.

Did not see any rises at all. First time that happened on this river.
Doc
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 9:47 am EST
Are you talking about palmer in western ma? If you are then I grew up in that same town, what are the odds of that? I am not familiar with the quabog river but I do know of the swift river near the quabbin. Is the quabog the one behind the courthouse in three rivers? I moved to pittsburgh about 4 years ago when I was 17 and its funny you mention the parking lot scenario because drugs are a huge problem in that area or they were when I was there.

Quick Reply