Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 26, 2016June 26th, 2016, 1:20 pm EDT
Okay guys I'm in the countdown mode right now. I'm leaving for an overnight stay at BWI (Baltimore Washington International) and ten days of free parking in about an hour. Then Monday morning I fly out to Mpls with an ultimate destination of Great Falls, MT. I arrive at 1:00 p.m. Mountain Time and after buying groceries I should be at my lodging by 3:30. Just in time to unpack all my stuff, inflate my boat, unpack my waders, vest, and one of my rods and get on the river by 6:00 p.m.

If I have good Wi Fi I'll try sending reports.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jun 26, 2016June 26th, 2016, 4:20 pm EDT
oops! gonna hafta install a drool guard on the computer.
cannot wait to see you how do!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 27, 2016June 27th, 2016, 5:54 am EDT
Good trip, Matt! Have fun.

I'll be heading out that way in August...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 27, 2016June 27th, 2016, 6:12 am EDT
Matt, have fun!

Quick Reply