Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 3, 2020April 3rd, 2020, 1:51 pm EDT
Are all forum members under SIP restrictions? I live in one of about two dozen PA counties that are under SIP. My wife and I go out once a week to the grocery store and the PO to get our mail. While fishing is permitted I decided not to go because it is an hour's drive to where I like to fish. I don't think the allowance to go fishing means it's okay to drive a significant distance to where you want to fish. Maybe 5 - 1o miles is okay but not 50.

I was lucky to get a call from a guy who wanted six dozen tailwater flies, PMD emergers and spinners, #16 - #18, caddis, some half & half emergers. I don't normally tie for profit but it gave me something to do and earn some money for future fishing trips.

Anyone fishing?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2020April 3rd, 2020, 2:28 pm EDT
Our regular trout season opens three weeks from tomorrow, and I can find plenty of places for solitude within 20 minutes or so of my house! So I'll be fishing soon, as far away from anyone else as possible.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Apr 3, 2020April 3rd, 2020, 2:53 pm EDT
Pennsylvania's Stay at Home/Shelter in Place order is statewide and applies to all 67 counties. So, it isn't just 20 counties.

I could fish every day as I live about 3/4 mile from one of the better warmwater lakes in this part of the state and so long as I am not bothered by people, I'm just as happy fishing for bass & bluegill as I am trout for the most part.

But I haven't been down there yet. I may, but it is just as likely that I will not. It doesn't feel right to me somehow and that takes some of the fun/anticipation out of it for me.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 4, 2020April 4th, 2020, 6:08 am EDT
I have not been keeping up with PA county closures. Like you it feels selfish to go fish when lots of people are out of work or are health care providers and working to save lives and in some cases getting sick and dying.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 4, 2020April 4th, 2020, 1:21 pm EDT
Matt I agree, and im not going until things get back to some sort of normal. However, it just really bugged me on a website on Michigan hunting and fishing people using the term (you people),as in anyone not from northern Michigan don't come here. Really rubs me the wrong way, maybe im making to much of it, but the term You people. I kinda thought that we didn't think like that anymore. Oh well, some things never change, and I hope things clear up soon, because there are lots nice folks up north who do appreciate the folks coming up and enjoying all Michigan has to offer. Take care of yourself, hopefully this to shall pass soon.
Mike.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 5, 2020April 5th, 2020, 8:11 am EDT
There are lots of people from NYC and various cities in NJ & PA that own seasonal properties (me being one of them) in the Catskills of NY. I saw a post on Facebook by a respected guide that pretty much said if you want to get out of NY, NJ, and PA cities and go to your property bring everything you are going to need from home. Meaning food, perishables, fishing tackle, flies, etc so you don't have to leave your property and go to town to shop. He said if you can't do that then stay home.

Some people might say that is unfair or whatever but you know if that town or area in insulated from infected people then I can fully understand why they want to keep seasonal people, from areas with higher percentages of corona, to stay out.

Quick Reply