Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jesse has attached these 16 pictures. The message is below.
Montana High!
Wild Cutty in the Gallatin National Forest
Some Arctic Grayling Feeding Heavily
McDonald Lake Montana
The beautiful Dearborn River where i managed to run into an epic two day sully hatch
One of the pools that was producing so many bugs
A Wild Male Cutty Working his way towards Goat Lake, Canada
Somewhere high, in the rollie pollie sky ha..  Canada
How could you beat this view..?
Outside Banff Canada
A Lost River
Rumbling on Down
Glacier Valley Canada
Wild Flowers
Shooting Stars
The "Last Day Out" view
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Sep 29, 2012September 29th, 2012, 11:00 am EDT
Here are just a few of the many pictures i took throughout my hike this summer. We covered many different parts of the Yellowstone to Yukon corridor running from Montana north to Yukon, Canada. I managed to fish quite a bit and provide some fresh wild trout for some dinner and breakfast deserts. A lot of the water towards Canada wasn't fishy though because of the high alpine climates. All in all it was a fantastic time and an amazing learning/FISHING experience. I didn't take many fishing pictures myself, but did snap a lot of river and scenery shots. My friends from the trip got some awesome action shots though. In all i probably took about 300 pictures, so you guys are just getting a small percentage. Hope you enjoy.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 29, 2012September 29th, 2012, 12:18 pm EDT
Awesome photos! Thanks for posting.

In the first "Montana high" photo, is that spot heavily grazed, or are there areas with grass that short on its own?

The ones in "Wild Flowers" are fireweed, one of the most common, iconic flowers in Alaska.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Orn

Orn on Sep 29, 2012September 29th, 2012, 12:59 pm EDT
Beautiful pictures! What a scenery! We want more!
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Sep 29, 2012September 29th, 2012, 1:15 pm EDT
Wow!!!!
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 29, 2012September 29th, 2012, 6:45 pm EDT
Jess,

I agree with Orn...Looking forward to part two with your smiling face and some fish! :) I did a similar route back in 1973...Looking at your pics reminds me that I still don't believe what I saw. The area is mind blowing. I'm glad you had such a good trip. I was further west and haven't seen Banff yet. My wife and I are hoping to see it soon.

Wonderful looking trip Jess...Now back to school! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 30, 2012September 30th, 2012, 5:45 am EDT
Wonderful trip Jesse. Thanks for sharing.

That apparently close-cropped grass looks like mountain tundra to me. When I first saw it here in CO I called it "God's golf course".
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 30, 2012September 30th, 2012, 12:47 pm EDT
Jess...

I forgot to tell you I'm working on a re-visit out west for next year. The boys in the Michigan Fly Fishing Club go out for a week each early August and I've been on the waiting list and have just been informed they are expanding it...

My wife has a second cousin that lives in Bozeman and I'm thinking about driving out myself, fishing, and having her fly out near the end of it and do some sight seeing together.

They stay at a place near West Yellowstone...I'll keep you posted once I get my you-know-what together. Once I get a confirm I'll start tying for the trip...It will help keep me busy this winter.

I'll tie up some of my "secret" Callibaetis flies and we could meet at the Railroad Ranch or chase "Gulpers" on Hebgen...:) Maybe I still have an ounce of rock-and-roll left in me and we could visit the Mighty Madison!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 2, 2012October 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm EDT
Spectacular photos there, Jesse! Looking forward to Part 2 as well to see what all you caught out there.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Oct 3, 2012October 3rd, 2012, 4:31 pm EDT
Jason - the only animals that graze the waters you see from that first pictures are the wild elk, deer, bear, and the various other animals. No cattle grazing up there or anything like that. We did run into a group of lama guides, however, but that is kind of rare and a once and while occurrence. It might have to do with the year round colder climates and weather..maybe?

Spence - I'm a graduated man brother no more school for me.

And thanks for the comments guys it really was spectacular. Once i get more fishing shots sent to me from some group members they will go up as well.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply