Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 7:25 am EDT
I'll be headed up to the ADKs either late June or early July, primarily to fish the West Branch of the Ausable. I went up and fished it for a week two years ago (Late July, early August), and while I caught some small browns in the main river and brookies in the tribs, and I don't feel like I got all there is to get. I don't want or need specific locations, as I know a couple good spots, but first off, is Late June a good time, and are there some good hatches, techniques that time of year I need to know?

Thanks for any help

P.S.
If this is too specific of a question to ask, (since it regards a specific river) just tell me and I'll shut up.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 8:18 am EDT
I can't help you with the Ausable, since I don't know it, but I don't find the questions at all too specific. For anything that is really sensitive like specific spots that some of us are willing to share with one person, but not the whole world, we often use a PM (Personal Message) which can be sent through the (my home)section of the site. Someone might want to PM you some of the information you ask about.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 21, 2010March 21st, 2010, 2:02 pm EDT
Here is a link to one of many Adirondack hatch charts I located in about ten seconds by Googling "Adirondack hatch charts".
http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1TCO_Hungry_Trout_Ausable_Hatch_Chart.cfm
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Mar 22, 2010March 22nd, 2010, 12:54 am EDT
Thanks a lot. That helps.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply