Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about the West Branch of the Delaware River.

A tributary on the left approaches the large Catskill river on the right.

From the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
The West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
The West Branch of the Delaware River (Upper) in New York
The West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 25, 2013January 25th, 2013, 7:21 pm EST
I have seen many instances on the middle West Branch (From Upper Game Lands to Hale Eddy Bridge) where there will be zillions of Trico spinner in the air, and later on the water, and not a single rising fish. Yet from Balls Eddy down to where West Branch enters the main stem you will often find fish rising steadily to the spinners in pods remeniscent of the Missouri river pods of the 1990's. I've never seen Tricos above the Hale eddy bridge.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AFISHN
West Chester,PA

AFISHN on Jul 15, 2015July 15th, 2015, 12:15 pm EDT
The Delaware Main Stem ws my home water(Cochecton,NY).....I have only seen tricos above Hale's Eddy Bridge 2 times in 40 years
Tom
"..when i'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'... "

Quick Reply