Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 12, 2008April 12th, 2008, 8:20 am EDT
I'm thinking of making my first trip to my cabin on Tuesday and Wednesday April 22 & 23. Long term forecast is 62 on Tuesday and 63 on Wednesday. I'm wondering if anyone would like to make the trip with me to split on gas and on shuttles? I have a Hyde low profile boat and know the rivers intimately.

It all depends on the weather predictions not changing and water temperatures at least 50 degrees. Flow rates don't mean much to me with the drift boat I can always get to a spot with less flow and find rising fish.

Plan would be to go up early Tuesday to arrive NLT 8:00 a.m. I have to rake leaves for a couple of hours since bugs seldom get going before 1:00 p.m. Float Tuesday, float or wade fish Wednesday, leave NLT 1:00 p.m. on Thursday.

PM me if you are interested. Please no lefty's or studded wading shoes.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 12, 2008April 12th, 2008, 7:03 pm EDT
Matt, if I could get free, I'd be happy to join you. Check you after the semester's over.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Apr 13, 2008April 13th, 2008, 1:46 am EDT
It's too bad we don't live closer , I'd take you up on that, I'd even be your grounds keeper.

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Georges
Central MA

Georges on Jun 19, 2008June 19th, 2008, 10:11 am EDT
WBranch,

Too late for the trip above but my brother has a place on the EBranch. We were down for a week at the beginning of May and couple of weeks over the end of May and first of June. Planning to get back early in July. We've fished the 5 river drainage for 30 years so we know it a little but nowhere as well as you since we don't float. If your going to be around in July maybe we can get together and swap some lies. By the way, how's the,"snot" on the wbranch? We gave up on it on the last trip. One cast and the fly was covered...

Quick Reply