Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 1:05 am EDT
Hello just signed up on the site Seems like some great info here , I enjoy tying my own flies ,it's an addiction as many know lol ,always chasing new material and patterns . I'm retired after serving in the military ,I was a Paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne div . Living in upstate New York I'm blessed to have great rivers in my back yard , the Beaverkill, Willowemac,east and west branch of the Delaware , and soon the esopus .
Looking forward to swapping stories/ w everyone , if I'm not Tying then chances are I'm somewhere in the river .
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 1:35 am EDT
Welcome, David. Thank you for your service to all of us. Hope the fish are treating you well.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 10:26 am EDT
All American! Welcome David. How many jumps did you do? I had a buddy from ROTC who went into the engineers, but went to jump school and did his 5 just so he could wear the wings...

"Why the hell would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" Ever heard that one from the "legs"?

You'll find a great bunch of guys and a few girls on here that will share some excellent advice and fun fishing stories. So feel free to share yours!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
David82nd
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 10:46 am EDT
Lol, I've never heard that ...no lol. Indeed only a " wind-dummy " would jump from a perfect plane , said the leg ! Lol. Thanks for the welcome buddy :)
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 12:34 pm EDT
Hello David, Great to have you on board. Thank you for your service to all of us. I am a lifelong fly fisher in the Catskills so maybe we can get together sometime. I first fished the Beaverkill in July of 1965. Then the Willowemoc the following year. I fished both those rivers until someone told me about the Delaware and then that became a life long obsession. I also fish the EB and WB of the Delaware and have a little cabin on the WB, complete with a Hyde drift boat.

I fish during the week Tuesday - Thursday. PM me if you ever feel like fishing over in my neck of the woods. I no longer fish the Beaverkill or Willowemoc. Kind of far from the cabin and the EB, WB, and main.

BTW my real name is Matt.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
David82nd
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 2:17 pm EDT
Wow that's very kind of you Matt, it would be great to meet up,and experience something fishing together , I will contact you when I get over that way , usually I fish there more once the water levels get to low on the Beaverkill , thank you again for reaching out , I look forward to it

David
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm EDT
I used to love the Beaverkill and Willowemoc. I had lots of great times there with by myself and with a buddy who I have now been fly fishing with for 55 years. Have known him longer than all my three wives put together!

I used to love to fish Cairns Pool, nymph in the morning and dry flies once the fish started to rise. I also liked to fish Barnharts and that riffly water from the tail of Hendrickson's Pool to Horse Brook Run (that is the brook that comes in from the old Route 17 side about 100 yards above the Quickway bridge that crosses the Beaverkill.

On the Willowemoc I spent hundreds of weekend hours at what we called the "Power Enclosure". You might call it something else but it is about half way between Roscoe and Livingston Manor. There are all sorts of power lines there and huge transformers inside of a chain link fence. That used to be great nymph water. I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Nov 16, 2017November 16th, 2017, 8:30 am EST
Welcome from Maryland, Thank's for your service. I served 1968 to 1971.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Nov 28, 2017November 28th, 2017, 12:49 am EST
Welcome from Colorado, and again, thank you sir, for your service to our country.

Sounds as though you have plenty of water to fish to keep you out of trouble.

Quick Reply