Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 10:03 am EDT
I read the site a lot but have never been a part of the forum. I love to talk about fishing and tying so I thought I'd join up. I mostly fish the Frying Pan in Basalt, CO and I love to tie flies so I'm looking forward to talking about that stuff and learning from you guys.
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 10:11 am EDT
Welcome aboard, Jamie.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 10:12 am EDT
Thanks. Looking forward to the discussions.
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 11:07 am EDT
Yes, welcome. I'm on the Front Range and lately have been fishing whatever's nearby -mostly small streams. I throw in some bass fishing too. Hey that's a pretty lab in your avatar. Yours? I miss mine.
WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 11:11 am EDT
Yep. That's my fishing buddy. His name is Sage and he loves rivers more than I do. One time we were crossing a bridge in Glenwood and he jumped out of the window and ran to jump in the river. Windows stay up now when we're near rivers haha. I'm sorry you're missing your dog. I dread the day when I will lose Sagey.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 11:53 am EDT
A warm welcome Jamie. Are your streams finally shaping up?

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 11:56 am EDT
Welcome!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 2:35 pm EDT
Hola!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WestCO
WestCO's profile picture
Palisade, CO

WestCO on Jul 31, 2011July 31st, 2011, 8:07 pm EDT
A warm welcome Jamie. Are your streams finally shaping up?

Regards,

Kurt

Very much so. I'm about to take a week long road trip thru the Taylor, Gunny, Pan, and maybe the Blue.

Quick Reply