Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Baron
Baron's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Baron on Jun 28, 2019June 28th, 2019, 10:58 am EDT
Is there anyone that feels like an authority on summertime Pickerel fishing. While I currently fish the Martins Creek area for Trout I would like to get better at catching 'eating-sized' Pickerel, perch and Sunnies/Gills. I'd like to hear how you approach fishing for these, the type of flies you use and wether or not you use a boat. I'd like to start frequenting the northern Lehigh, Francis Walter res, Promised Land and Shahola.
Baron
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 28, 2019June 28th, 2019, 1:05 pm EDT
I don’t know about Pennsylvania Pickerel but in NY in the summertime, pickerel run deeper so you can’t catch them on top. What I discovered last summer was that if you use a barrel swivel and a slip sinker with a big streamer fly you can catch em and hold your own with the spin fisherman !! Fish deeper in the summer !!
Baron
Baron's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Baron on Jun 28, 2019June 28th, 2019, 1:40 pm EDT
Hmmm. I bet they're the same type of pickerel that we have here,lol. I've always wanted to fish NY for Pickerel and Perch. Then this year I got the bright idea to take up fly fishing. Never thought I would but I love it. Would you be willing to describe how to setup and work the rig you mentioned.
Baron
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 29, 2019June 29th, 2019, 1:57 am EDT
Why sure! I was running about 6’ of either 1x or 2x leader up to the swivel and size of slip sinker varied depending upon water depth. Basically , I would cast out using open loops and wait about 15 seconds for the fly to sink and use a steady retrieve ; I also found that trolling with this setup was effective if you have the capability . Hope this helps
Baron
Baron's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Baron on Jun 30, 2019June 30th, 2019, 5:42 am EDT
I see. How long of a leader from swivel to fly?

Is the Agway still open in Monticello? Used to stop there.
Baron
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 30, 2019June 30th, 2019, 6:26 am EDT
About 6’ no need for more IMHO
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 30, 2019June 30th, 2019, 6:26 am EDT
Yup it’s still there but not called agway anymore
Baron
Baron's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Baron on Jun 30, 2019June 30th, 2019, 8:01 am EDT
The drive, while visiting Agway Stores is what introduced me to the northern Delaware and is partially to blame for making me want to learn fly fishing. I live very close to the Delaware in Easton.
Your Slipsinker Idea may help me with Smallies in large riffles on the Delaware.
Baron
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 30, 2019June 30th, 2019, 11:29 am EDT
Yup I’m sure it will but keep in mind that it’s much tougher to cast; keep your loops open and don’t cast as much, fish everything out to save your arm!!
Baron
Baron's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Baron on Jul 1, 2019July 1st, 2019, 4:07 am EDT
Thanks, will do.
Baron

Quick Reply