Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 7:06 am EST
Well I'm getting cabin fever already and I need to get away from this concrete jungle. A few friends and I are planning on a fishing trip spring break while all of our other friends are going to Cancun we are in search of the all elusive trout. Our break starts the 9th of March and goes until the 16th. Does anyone have any suggestions on our travels. We need something that will be fishable year round and not frozen. We were thinking maybe Yellowstone. Also this is going to be a very low budget trip (gas, nuts and berries. Any ideas are welcomed.
"I now walk into the wild"
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 7:15 am EST
gas, nuts, and berries? PA will surprise you with what's open to catch and release fly anglers. go online to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boating Commission--with some work you can get a good idea of where you can fish; precious little has frozen this year. and loads of folk on this board will have lots of advice.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 7:20 am EST
central pa, it shouldn't be frozen but it my be cold. P.m. me if you head this way p.m. and I can give you some input on the conditions., or check out the T.C.O. website they update there stream conditions often.
There are some great streams in the western N.C. (asheville region) mountains that should be in good shape as well
If i were single and in college i would try to pony up some cash and hit the coast for some tarpon.

p.s. I think yellowstone will still be a frozen stiff through march
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 8:55 am EST
And if you're in the backyard of someone on this forum, they'd probably take you out for a little guided tour. If the time is right, I know I'd be happy to do it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 9:35 am EST
I wish I was one of those college students that could go on a spring break, It seems that a lot people I know live happy go lucky lives and go to tropical places on a whim lol. wow if you could get the oppurtunity to go out to yellowstone that would be pretty sweet, you could wet wade one of the streams with a hot spring going into it like the firehole. I went there as a kid and it was pretty amazing.
Mtskibum
Montana

Mtskibum on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 10:04 am EST
Yellowstone park wont be fishable that time of year(the season doesnt start till memorial day), however there is still plenty to fish out here that isnt frozen over. I went out fishing both days last weekend, and both days this weekend, just got back in, in time for the superbowl.

The madison, gallatin, and even stretches of the yellowstone river will be fishable. As will numerous other places.

If you are truly interested in coming out this way shoot me a pm, and i can help you with your trip.

Plus the benefit to fishing out here that time of year. You get the rivers all to yourself, i fished 2 miles of the gallatin today from a public access spot, didnt see another person.
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Feb 3, 2008February 3rd, 2008, 2:34 pm EST
Thank you guys for all the help. I have never been in contact with a more helpful group of guys, it gives me hope that every angler isn't like the Salmon River strain.

Penn is deffinently a consideration since I grew up there and I have family living there. I wish I would have fly fished back when I lived there, but alas it took my dad getting into a car accident when I was 12 to get into it. Now that I am in college I have met a slew of followers of the fly and any of us would give our lives to set foot on a trophy stream.

I am actually working on an internship in fisheries biology and I would be stationed in either Yellowstone or Alaska (not sure what part of Alaska yet). I would be humbled to meet anyone on this forum and fish along side of them (just like playing football along side the 2008 Super Bowl champs)
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Feb 4, 2008February 4th, 2008, 5:13 am EST
I'd much rather drive a couple thousand miles to fish in the middle of winter than ride a bike with little tire pressure 8 miles through the snow to a small Limestone Creek to catch a lone brown. (This is my Thursday afternoons-well worth the trip)

Quick Reply