Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
Going up to the Quake Lake visitor center.
The view of the Madison River from above the Quake Lake visitor center.
The famous Reynolds Pass on the Madison River.
Also, below Reynolds Pass is the Three Dollar Bridge. Yup, that cool looking dude is me. :-)
Of course, here is the shot of the Three Dollar Bridge and the tumbling Madison River.
Looking upstream from the Three Dollar Bridge with the beautiful mountain range in the background.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 11:13 am EDT
While out on the Madison River we went up top of the Quake Lake visitor center and looked down into the valley. This photo really doesn't do it justice. Other photos are of the Madison River below Quake Lake.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 12:18 pm EDT
looks like you were wading--how was it? it is indeed very lovely country, and i enjoyed your photos of it. that view from the visitor center was extra neat. drove your route last week and saw some folk having fun. stream closures recently have forced a lot of anglers to the Madison and the fish were super-picky when we drifted lower down. wheels up at 5:00 to launch by 7:00 to have anything to ourselves, but it paid off. got a nice few once we got the knack; drift boat fishing makes me dizzy and the "shake-offs", what Louis calls long-distance releases, made me wonder why i was mushing down barbs. by 2:30 it began to look like rush hour and the number of trucks in the take-outs told the story. next time maybe we can do as you did!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 12:46 pm EDT
We did fair considering that day we fished it was 104 degrees. All the fish are real close to shore so very little wading, just walk the shore. Nymphs and small hoppers worked the best. There was going to be a real nice caddis hatch that night around 8 PM or so but we had to leave which really bummed me out. Through the middle of the day and most of the afternoon we went sight-seeing and drove up through the West Yellowstone area.

Some other off the beaten path areas on the Madison that are my favorite but no time to fish them this trip. I have never spent a great deal of time on the Madison River. Most of the trip we were on the Henry's Fork which I am absolutely nuts about!!!
Grabbit
Columbus, OH

Grabbit on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 1:02 pm EDT
John.... I hate you. A LOT. For what its worth thank you for the painful reminder that I live in Ohio.

.....Grabbit.....
Fishing with nymphs is for fat little kids... man up and throw a dry.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 2:13 pm EDT
I have a humorous book about flyfishing (I can't remember its name), and the author lists the ten worst places to flyfish. The moon came in at #2, just behind #1 Ohio.

-Shawn

P.S. I guess the book was written before Ohio was bumped to #2 in all the polls and Florida took over the top spot.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Aug 15, 2007August 15th, 2007, 3:35 am EDT
I have a humorous book about flyfishing (I can't remember its name), and the author lists the ten worst places to flyfish. The moon came in at #2, just behind #1 Ohio.

-Shawn

Thanks I'm still laughing.

Another John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 15, 2007August 15th, 2007, 1:36 pm EDT
Beautiful country! I, too, would be in pain from jealousy... if I weren't in Alaska. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 16, 2007August 16th, 2007, 4:28 am EDT
So Jason, when will we see some more of that beautiful Alaskan country from you?
Troutslayer
Memphis Tn

Troutslayer on Dec 27, 2007December 27th, 2007, 3:24 pm EST
Experienced Montana a few months ago and fished Bighorn,Madison,Firehole,and went to the Three Dollar Bridge
on a whim.Caught lots of fish with my Red River Arkansas flies.
Mostly nymphing,had a great time and will return in 2008.
Troutdog
New Jersey

Troutdog on Mar 1, 2008March 1st, 2008, 8:20 am EST
Saw this sight and registered. I fished the Madison in '05 from Bear Trap to well inside the park. My heart was swept away at Three Dollar Bridge, Reynolds Pass, and the Slide Inn area. To say it took my breath away would be an understatement! The fishing was nothing less than oustanding. Wonderfully fit rainbows(surprisingly).

This sight has brought me back there -- thank you
troutdog
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Mar 1, 2008March 1st, 2008, 9:59 am EST
One word for those photos "WOW". Ohio cant be the worst state for flyfishing can it, I bet kansas might give it a run for its money right?
Mtskibum
Montana

Mtskibum on Mar 1, 2008March 1st, 2008, 11:36 am EST
I was out fishing the lower Madison today. I don't make my way out to fish it too often because of the crowds. However today i did not have to fight the crowds. And i still managed to land a few browns in the 1-3 pound range.

Here is a picture of where i was fishing on the madison today, and the reason why i had this often crowded fishing hole that is (poorly) pictured, all to myself.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Dec 19, 2011December 19th, 2011, 1:15 pm EST
Looked like a big riffle to me...by gosh that was the Big Riffle!
Goose
Goose on Dec 20, 2011December 20th, 2011, 4:55 am EST
Gees. Is that snow or did you sneeze on the lens?
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 22, 2011December 22nd, 2011, 1:11 pm EST
Oh Montana is truly beautiful..
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jan 7, 2012January 7th, 2012, 4:54 am EST
Here is a few more pics from fishing out there last summer...

Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jan 7, 2012January 7th, 2012, 5:02 am EST
One more for ya...

Grand Canyon - YNP

Quick Reply