Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Stanislav has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Feb 19, 2007February 19th, 2007, 4:37 am EST
Hi everybody, I`m so happy to join your great site and to participate to the forum. I write an article for Bulgarian magazine about Mayflies, and I`m interested what exactly are these three, to insure myself that i won`t make anythig wrong with the latin names. So please help me identify them.

Greethings from BG: Stan
The life is too short to fish a bad fly
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 19, 2007February 19th, 2007, 5:05 am EST
Hi Stan,

I'm afraid I don't know my European mayflies at all, but yours are surely in the family Ephemerellidae. As for the genus or species, I couldn't tell you.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 19, 2007February 19th, 2007, 5:47 am EST
Hi Stan,

Like Jason, I won't pretend to know much about European mayflies, but have you ruled out Ephemerella ignita for some reason? (Just thought I'd start with the obvious guess.)

Best,
Gonzo
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Feb 19, 2007February 19th, 2007, 4:35 pm EST
Yes I also thik it`s ephemerella ignita. Thank`s for the fast replys!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 19, 2007February 19th, 2007, 5:18 pm EST
Not that it's even worthy of mention, but Ephemerella ignita was reclassified as Serratella ignita. So you say, then why mention it? Ah, good point, that. Hmmm. I seem to be talking to myself! Wonder what that means.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 1:26 am EST
Stan, I've recently become curious about the markings of Eastern European Brown Trout. I understand that there may be some interesting differences from country to country. If you have any photos of fish, I'd be glad to see them also. Best wishes, and tight lines to you.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 3:46 am EST
Roger,

Rest assured that even if you've developed the habit of talking to yourself, many of us are listening and hanging on your every word. I wondered about revisions to the names of European mayflies when I tendered my guess (and it is strictly that), but I knew I could count on you to update the nomenclature. Thanks, pal!
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 6:20 am EST
I`ve just askin to be sure Taxon. And thank`s for your specifying. I see that I can learn a lot from your site so I` look trough it... to make my next posts more exact.

Martinlf -I`ll send some pics, but I prefer to post them in other topic.

Best wishes !

Quick Reply