Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Stanislav has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Apr 25, 2007April 25th, 2007, 9:16 am EDT
Hi, everybody a friend of mine make that pictures and we can`t identify the genus of that Mayfly...I`m sure there are people here that can help me and my friend. I`ll wait for your answers with impatience!

Best regards: Stan
The life is too short to fish a bad fly
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Apr 29, 2007April 29th, 2007, 11:13 pm EDT
What`s happen can`t anybody help me with some kind of answer!!!
Quillgordon
Schuylkill County, PA.

Quillgordon on Apr 30, 2007April 30th, 2007, 2:07 am EDT
Stan,
I don't think the photo tells enough by itself. I think including size,color, etc. would help our resident entomologists.
I don't see a link to mayflies of Bulgaria, but I found this one for Greece.
Maybe it will help others........

link to PDF paper on FAMU
Good luck...
Qg.
Flyfishing is a state of mind! .............. Q.g.

C/R........barbless
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 30, 2007April 30th, 2007, 2:34 am EDT
From the general look it seems like something in the Heptageniidae family, but beyond that it really is hard to tell since most of us don't know our European mayflies at a glance.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 30, 2007April 30th, 2007, 3:25 am EDT
Sorry Stan, I've looked at your specimen several times but the details (esp. wing venation and leg structure) just aren't clear enough to make a good guess. But I'll second Jason's comment that it's probably a member of Heptageniidae, maybe Rithrogena (?).
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 30, 2007April 30th, 2007, 5:18 am EDT
Stan-

Unfortunately, the mayflies of Bulgaria seem not to have been included in the European Macro-Invertebrate Database. However, here is the list of Greek Heptageniid species, which would probably be similar to those for Bulgaria:

Dacnogenia coerulans
Ecdyonurus aurantiacus
Ecdyonurus dispar
Ecdyonurus helveticus
Ecdyonurus insignis
Ecdyonurus venosus
Electrogena lateralis
Epeorus assimilis
Heptagenia flava
Heptagenia sulphurea
Kageronia fuscogrisea
Rhithrogena beskidensis
Rhithrogena germanica
Rhithrogena hybrida
Rhithrogena loyolaea
Rhithrogena semicolorata
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Apr 30, 2007April 30th, 2007, 6:09 am EDT
Thanks guys and sorry for the question hard up for an answer! May be from the next year I`ll go to study entomoology Abroad and will learn more about European mayflies!
Quillgordon
Schuylkill County, PA.

Quillgordon on Apr 30, 2007April 30th, 2007, 6:36 am EDT

Stan,
Do you have a library that might have the information you need. There must be a record somewhere..... library,college,etc.

Then the 'residents' could better help you!
Where are the photos ????
Streams fish, women, etc.
John
Flyfishing is a state of mind! .............. Q.g.

C/R........barbless
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on May 2, 2007May 2nd, 2007, 5:10 pm EDT

Was this from a small stream that becomes dry later in the summer or a larger stream?

Maybe I'm getting too tired, but it almost looks like some ameletid species I've seen.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 2, 2007May 2nd, 2007, 6:47 pm EDT
Konchu-

I certainly agree with regard to the abdominal markings. How about the eyes; are they laterally opposed on the female imago? Unfortunate the tarsal claws cannot be clearly seen.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on May 3, 2007May 3rd, 2007, 2:07 am EDT
I had to stop and think about the basis of my ameletid guess; I was going mainly on the date of emergence, the generally dark coloration, size, and two tails. I'd have to check a book to see about the eye characters; I don't remember off the top of my head. IF it is an ameletid, it could be either Ameletus or Metreletus. You'd have to look at the venation of the wings up close to be sure. Really, we don't have quite enough to ID this beast, but it sure is fun to try.
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on May 3, 2007May 3rd, 2007, 7:02 am EDT
It`s definetly not a small one. Next Time when I go there ` these days I hope I``ll collect some insects- and`ll try to make better pictures !

Tight Lines !
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 4, 2007May 4th, 2007, 2:51 pm EDT
Really, we don't have quite enough to ID this beast, but it sure is fun to try.

Konchu-

Ain't that the case. Well, if you come up with any further insights, be sure to share them. I'd be particularly interested in a source for keys to the European mayfly genera we don't have in N. America. Of course, species keys would also be nice, but most of my attempts at identification are ususally from photos, and frankly, even positive identification to genus (more often than not) eludes me.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply