Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jan 11, 2015January 11th, 2015, 7:07 am EST
These are Ecdyonurus nymphs with Symbiocladius parasitizing them. They were collected from Mill Creek, a tributary of the Russian River. Symbiocladius are a member of Diptera, the true flies. They attach themselves behind the wingpads and grow to maturity there without harming the Ecdyonurus nymph. They parasitize Paraleptophebia and Rhithrogena as well though not in this area.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jan 11, 2015January 11th, 2015, 7:26 am EST
An added note:
Here is a pdf on Symbiocladius. http://pte.au.poznan.pl/ppe/PPE1-2007/285-291_Gilka_i_in.pdf
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 11, 2015January 11th, 2015, 7:56 am EST
Fascinating, Mark. Are they just attaching themselves for pupation or are they feeding off them?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 11, 2015January 11th, 2015, 8:13 am EST
COOL! thanks for posting Mark!
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jan 11, 2015January 11th, 2015, 10:06 am EST
Kurt-

They feed off them. They attach themselves and feed off haemolymph (bug blood) and associated tissues.

Eric-

You're welcome.
-Albert Einstein
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 11, 2015January 11th, 2015, 12:36 pm EST
Thanks, only noticed your link after posting my question. Oh, well...:)

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply