Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 30, 2008January 30th, 2008, 7:08 am EST

Being rather new to this forum I have taken quite a bit of time reviewing past topics and posts. In so doing I have noticed quite a few names of people whom I considered both knowledgeable and entertaining; people who responded and contributed on a regular basis racking up a large number of posts. But it seems many have disappeared. It’s good to see new names appearing almost daily but it would also be nice to hear from them again. Maybe they’re on extended leave to Patagonia or New Zealand, or in search of the illusive Snow Fly, or photographing trout fisheries as yet unknown. Or, maybe their just too busy fishing and/or tying flies. Does anyone know where they have gone?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Jan 30, 2008January 30th, 2008, 8:15 am EST
Like you I'm kinda new as well, so I'm not exactly sure who "they" are. Forums do ebb and flow, people come and go for a variety of reasons. I do know of one member, IEatimago, just moved to Portland a couple of weeks ago...

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 30, 2008January 30th, 2008, 8:18 am EST
Isn't that a line from a song? "Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio, where have you gone?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 30, 2008January 30th, 2008, 9:12 am EST
I know Gonzo works in the ski industry, and this is their busiest time, of course. There may be other reasons that are his business, but I know he still holds dear this site and forum, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at some point.

-Shawn

P.S. Jason has seemed scarcer than usual lately, as well. Keeping you busy at grad school are they, bud?
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Jan 30, 2008January 30th, 2008, 2:44 pm EST
"in search of the illusive Snow Fly"

Man that was probably my favorite book next to the Compleat Angler.
"I now walk into the wild"
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Jan 31, 2008January 31st, 2008, 5:36 am EST
maybe people are like me and dont winter fish and when you visit forums like these it reminds you how much fishing means to you and it makes waiting for the season painful. I dont know about you guys but I cant wait for the winter to be over.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 31, 2008January 31st, 2008, 7:25 am EST
When I was in my 20's - 40's I too felt the long winters and thought about going fishing again and the thoughts filled much of my days. When I hit my 50's the longing for the fishing season to start again was tempered with patience and I was able to get through it quite well.
Now that I'm soon approaching Medicare age I still love to be on the water and rhythmically casting my dry flies to rising trout but have quelled my desire to get on the water by tying more flies than in my earlier years and hoping that the seasons will be as rewarding as last years and I will have another twenty years pursuing those beautiful trout.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jan 31, 2008January 31st, 2008, 8:17 am EST
Falsifly,
Exactly who are you looking for? I still check-out the forums, but find I am posting less. I guess the reason is, I don't say anything unless it contributes something to the discussion, interests me, or unless I can help someone with something. I don't know how far back you've gone into the posts, but I've been here a while.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply