Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sla9104
Sla9104's profile picture
Ireland

Sla9104 on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 5:39 pm EDT
Hi everyone, new here names Chris from Ireland. Im 22
Needless to say on here i love fishing iv been fishing since as far back as i can remember my first fish been a brown trout
Im flyfishing about 7 years and tie my own flies
Havnt been fishin much the last year or so but the past few weeks iv been mad at it like i never stopped
My main style of fishing is with a fly rod and want to tick off as many different kinds of fish on the fly
Looking at some of the pics of cracking fish on here and hope to catch some nice ones soon to upload on here
All the best
Chris
A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." ~by Arnold Gingrich~
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 6:05 pm EDT
Welcome Chris. Hope you enjoy this web site and forum.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 30, 2014May 30th, 2014, 2:27 pm EDT
Welcome! Be interested in hearing about Irish fishing.

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy