Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Onestonefly
Bloomfield MI

Onestonefly on Mar 21, 2008March 21st, 2008, 8:02 am EDT
Would appreciate any help with finding well made hackle pliers, like the older Herb Howard ones. I don't want the rotating type, not the rubber pad ones, not the clip ones. Just the old sytle clamp ones and well made too. Thanks.
Paul
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 21, 2008March 21st, 2008, 11:24 am EDT
Do a search and read my post under fly tying tools page 2.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Andyg
Eastern Sussex co., NJ

Andyg on Mar 23, 2008March 23rd, 2008, 10:27 am EDT
I think I've used them all but can't tell you what I have since they all lack name markings. However, I can tell you that the one I like the best is the Dorin teardrop style. It really holds the tip of a hackle feather well. With the others, I've done everything from coating the jaws with liquid plastic to filing grooves in the jaws to keep the hackle tip from sliding out. Just an opinion based on my own personal experience.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 24, 2008March 24th, 2008, 12:20 am EDT
To anyone who is interested in the hackle pliers I mentioned in a post a couple of months ago Onestonefly found it and here is a picture.

I have had virtually every type of hackle pliers on the market and these hackle pliers have never slipped, or broken, a feather. Feathers have broken but not at the clamping point of the pliers. The really fine stems of small hackles or partridge feathers sometimes are just too fragile to be wound. The plier has worked flawlessly for me.

It is available at Bob Marriot's.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply