Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 28, 2007December 28th, 2007, 7:50 am EST
To those of you who use this vise. I currently have a regal vise which I think is a great vise, but I was thinking about getting a "true" rotary vise mainly because I've been tying more bass flys lately. My only question on the renzetti is A- durability ( my regal is nearly bomb proof) and B- does the cam jaw mean that you don't have to adjust the jaws for a specific hook size( like a regal). B- is a big concern for me because i'm spoiled by the fact that I never have to adjust the jaws, mainly because I get tyers A.D.D. from time to time and tie a half dozen different patterns in a sitting. I really don't "need" the vise but if it's a good tool I might ad it to the quiver. Any comments on this vise would be appreciated.
Jeff
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Dec 28, 2007December 28th, 2007, 7:59 am EST
Jeff,
Durability is excellent the only thing I have found is the areas where my hand rest against the vise have taken on a darkened patina, but this in NO WAY impacts the functionality of the vise.
You do have to adjust the jaws for hooks of varying sizes but it takes less than 10 seconds to go from a 2/0 stainless salt hook to a #28 fine wire. There is a rather unobtrusive knurled screw on the jaws the you twist. If you are staying within a 3 hook sixe range you probably don't even have to adjust, and it is so smooth it quickly becomes second nature.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 30, 2007December 30th, 2007, 11:44 am EST
cool, i think i'm going to have to make a trip up to TCO and tie a few flies on one and see if it fits. Thanks for the input
jeff
Losthwy
Losthwy on Jun 3, 2016June 3rd, 2016, 7:27 pm EDT
I would recommend a Peak. Yes you have to adjust it for different hook sizes but it is very quick. I just recently sold my Renzetti Traveler and replaced it with the Peak. Peak IMO is a better vise. It is VERY well built and I expect it to be the last vise I every buy.
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Jun 4, 2016June 4th, 2016, 4:00 am EDT
I've tied on a Renzetti Traveler for close to 20 years. The vise works the same as the day I bought it. I tie bass, saltwater, muskie flies on it along with all types of trout flies down to midges. It takes only a few seconds to insert a hook and I have the older screw type jaws, not the newer camlock jaws which would be faster. BTW, I also own a Regal that a I use as my travelling vise. My Renzetti get 99% of the use because I use the rotary feature quite often.

Quick Reply