Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Sep 30, 2015September 30th, 2015, 6:03 pm EDT
What is the difference between a regular vise and one with can lock jaws? I.e...griffin odyssey spider vs the griffin odyssey spider cam. Thanks!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 30, 2015September 30th, 2015, 7:26 pm EDT
If I'm not mistaken most mid to upper price range fly tying vises tighten the hooks in the jaws with a cam on the rear locking lever. Oops, I just thought of my Regal vise and that is not cam tightening.

I have no knowledge of the vises you are referring to but looked them up and the advantage of the cam spider is that it has a cam operated jaw mechanism and it will accommodate all sizes of hooks. The biggest difference between my Regal and my HMH is that the Regal will securely tighten any hook size from a #20 to a #1. There is a groove ground into the back jaw with a radius and it helps to secure larger hooks. The HMH is very nice vise but I have to adjust the cam position whenever I go more than one hook size larger, or smaller.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Dzumwalt
Missouri

Dzumwalt on May 25, 2016May 25th, 2016, 6:35 am EDT
If you are going for a rotary vise and going to spend the money then you may want to look at the Renzetti Traveler. Her is a link with descriptions and ratings. http://amzn.to/1sPOytY

I have had this quality vise for years and have never had any issues, plus it has a lifetime warranty. I bought it in a fly shop and the owner told me that it would be with me for a lifetime. I truly believe that now that I have used it for so long. Also, I didn't think the pedestal would be sufficient because I used the clamp type for 12 years. I will no longer go back since I have this one. I could set it on my lap and tie if I want. Take a look at it and consider it, it is a great vise but it is an investment that you would not regret.

Thanks,
Dirk

Quick Reply