Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

OldHasBeen
OldHasBeen's profile picture
Simcoe County, Ontario

OldHasBeen on Aug 10, 2017August 10th, 2017, 4:59 am EDT
Hello.. OldHasBeen here.

New to the forum, thought I'd say hello.

I'm looking at picking up a Peak Rotary this weekend as an upgrade from my old AA. May I ask your thoughts on this vice & are the "Midge" jaws a necessary option I should pickup as I only tie as small as 18s anymore (Eye's are not what they used to be ;-) )

Thank You
OHB
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 19, 2017August 19th, 2017, 4:17 am EDT
Hi, and welcome. I don't have any experience with the Peak, but I'd think the "Midge" jaws wouldn't be necessary for 18 and up. Anyone else? Check with the manufacturer?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Aug 21, 2017August 21st, 2017, 2:59 am EDT
Welcome... I too have no experience with Peak vises, but I'd agree with Louis that generally, midge jaws would not be necessary to tie size #18 flies.

Generally, that is..

The other side of this of course is that as the years clip by, anything that helps us see what the &%$# we are doing becomes more and more welcome. I don't have midge jaws for my Griffin vise, but I do use 5X magnification and about 450 watts (incandescent equiv..) of illumination...:)

So, it may be that the Peak midge jaws, while not being a necessity for you, may well be a convenience you'll come to appreciate.
OldHasBeen
OldHasBeen's profile picture
Simcoe County, Ontario

OldHasBeen on Aug 22, 2017August 22nd, 2017, 3:33 am EDT
Thank you for the welcome & the advise.....

I'm going to hold off on the "Midge Jaws" & put the vise through It's rounds over the coming winter to see if I might need them. I normally tie over the winter as the local Steelhead run will keep me from my bench till Christmas.

Like you RleeP, I to have my bench fully flooded with light & a goose-neck magnifier to aid my weary eyes. I just may be able to tie a fly or two smaller than an #18 at home, but getting them on a tippet riverside is an other matter...... ;-)

Thanks again
OHB

Quick Reply