Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Cheumatopsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Little Sister Sedge) Caddisfly Pupa from Cayuta Creek in New York
This is the first fully formed caddis pupa (technically, a pharate adult) that I've collected and photographed alive and healthy. I'll put a video of this specimen online soon, too.
Flytyer0423
germansville PA

Flytyer0423 on Aug 14, 2009August 14th, 2009, 5:22 pm EDT
what is a good caddis pupa pattern ive been looking for them online and didnt find anything that worked for me

thanks-
natureboy
(vistit my website @) www.natureboyoutdoors.weebly.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Aug 14, 2009August 14th, 2009, 6:32 pm EDT
Unless you want or need something more specific, Josh, traditional soft hackles tied in appropriate colors are simple, effective, and versatile flies.

Sayfu
Sayfu on Oct 5, 2012October 5th, 2012, 5:54 am EDT

My approach would be to tie a small soft hackle, metal bead headed, the abdomen ribbed with small copper wire over a pale green acrylic yarn I use. The rest of the yarn strand gets combed out, and laid back over the body. Then a peacock herl thorax, and a soft hackle "APPLIED" on a #16 caddis/pupa hook that is short shank, and a wider gape for better hooking/holding. I want my hackle to extend back beyond the hook bend. I use all kinds of soft hackle game bird feathers for hackle...Sage Grouse, and Sharptail Grouse lately, but Ruff Grouse lately as well, Hungarian Partridge of course, and duck feathers. There are some great soft hackle feathers that come off ducks.That yarn I get in the craft shop, and it is J. & P. Coats yarn, 4 strand small that you can separate, and use as many strands as needed. I have it in a honey gold, green, and yellow. Great stuff, makes tying easy. I either go for some shine with a copper metal bead, or go black. I watched Lawson tie a similar fly for a caddis emerger this Spring, and he prefers a black bead, but he fishes Spring Creek waters while I am a tailwater guy for the most part.
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Oct 5, 2012October 5th, 2012, 11:05 am EDT
Hi Sayfu,

I was wondering if you use wool or polyester yarn.

Thanks

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Sayfu
Sayfu on Oct 5, 2012October 5th, 2012, 12:01 pm EDT

I see the yarn I use I identified is a synthetic. It has fuzzies coming off it as well. The green, and yellow are pastel colors that I like, and the golden yellow has an amber hue to it.

Quick Reply