Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 25, 2011August 25th, 2011, 5:31 am EDT
Here's a tip that I use that I have never seen anyone else use. I started by using beads at the head of my hook for tying soft hackles. I "apply" the feather on smaller patterns especially rather than wrapping the feather. It becomes easy to size the small hackles, and the bead secures the hackle barbules behind the bead. I use XSM glass beads that look like a bug head, to tungsten beads to sink a soft hackle. But I then began using the XSM glass beads at the head of a dry fly! Has some good advantages. You never crowd the head because you start with the head. Tying off the feather becomes very easy securing it behind the bead. Then I tie off using the double under the thread knot(not knowing the name) a Gary Borger knot for securing off a fly. Head cement doesn't get in the eye of the fly, and it does not contribute to sinking the fly. Adds an attracting feature IMO.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 4, 2015April 4th, 2015, 1:02 pm EDT
I just stumbled on this thread and find it very interesting not only as possibly a "hot spot" on a dry fly but still after fifty plus years of tying I still sometimes crowd the eye and have a heck of a time getting a 6X tippet through a material clogged eye while on the river and the fish are rising.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 5, 2015April 5th, 2015, 5:37 am EDT
I just stumbled on this thread and find it very interestin
g not only as possibly a "hot spot" on a dry fly but still after fifty plus years of tying I still sometimes crowd the eye and have a heck of a time getting a 6X tippet through a material clogged eye while on the river and the fish are rising.

I do the same things after 30 years of tying, ha!

Quick Reply