Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Oct 19, 2009October 19th, 2009, 1:52 am EDT
What would you say is the nymph that would be in most fishermens fly box. And what insect is it an immitation of?
Fred
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 19, 2009October 19th, 2009, 4:04 am EDT
Hi Fred,

For streams in the Pacific Northwest, I would say Prince Nymph, which imitates a stonefly nymph.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Oct 19, 2009October 19th, 2009, 5:26 am EDT
If I had to guess at the nymph that you would be most likely to find in most peoples' boxes, I'd guess Hare's Ear.

As to what it imitates: lots of things, really.

And yes, I've seen people catch fish in the Guad. on Hare's Ear nymphs. :-)
UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Oct 19, 2009October 19th, 2009, 5:34 am EDT
Hare's Ear, Pheasant tail, & Prince. I have many in bead head and non bead head.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 19, 2009October 19th, 2009, 4:47 pm EDT
Yep: Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail, and Prince would be the ones in the most fishermens' fly boxes, I think. Probably in that order, although PT might be first.

I was a little confused by the question, though: "most imitated" would be asking about the actual insects, but "in the fly boxes" would be asking about the flies. Everyone's answered the latter.

The former is harder; it depends how broad a category you want to look at. For a single species, it's probably the Hendrickson nymph. For a family, probably Baetidae (BWO) nymphs.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 20, 2009October 20th, 2009, 11:20 am EDT
I'd say PT, hare's ear and prince nymph.
Bruce
Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on Oct 21, 2009October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am EDT
I'm in the same boat. Gotta be Hare's ear and PT. Don't know many without those in the fly box.

Ted

Quick Reply