Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mlatimer
Mlatimer on May 2, 2019May 2nd, 2019, 1:19 am EDT
Small time lurker making my first post, forgive post quality. This weekend the 4th and 5th I’m going to the gatlinburg TN area in search of trout. I’ve been to gatlinburg many times before but this is the first time fishing gatlinburg. The forecast is for scattered thunderstorms Saturday and light rain Sunday. I’m a little concerned with the forecast but the trip is booked and there is no turning back now. I’ve already done a google deep dive on the subject so I know a little, but if anyone knows good spots in the area I would greatly appreciate it. Any fly/bait recommendations would be killer. I will be stoping at a local fly fishing outfitter for the low down when I get there. Just seeking extra wisdom! I’m mainly sticking fly gear but I’m also bringing some backup spinning gear in case salmon eggs or something else turns out to be the juice in the rain. Though I have fished for trout before, This is my first real fly fishing experience. I have practiced in a private pond on bluegill so I have the basic operations down but not much more than that. Kind of a loaded, disorganized post I know I’m just trying to soak up as much knowledge about fly fishing and Trout as I can. Very excited for the weekend!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 2, 2019May 2nd, 2019, 8:43 am EDT
Mlatimer,

Depending on the flow you should consider dead drifting various nymphs, with a BB split shot, or two, if the flow is swift and a couple feet deep. Think #12 - #16 Hares Ears. Bead Head pheasant tails #14 - #16, various egg flies, maybe a Prince nymph #12 - #14, a couple caddis larvae and pupa in olive, bright green, tan. The key is too look for fishy water; like soft water near swift water, 2' - 3' deep. Cast slightly upstream and across and mend the line if you start to get drag (flip the fly line upstream while the indicator is floating to eliminate, or minimize, drag)

There might be rising fish so you should talk to the fly shop guy and ask him to suggest a couple patterns. You should buy at least two of say four dry flies so in case you lose a good one you have a back-up. Have fun, and give us a report when you get back.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on May 2, 2019May 2nd, 2019, 11:19 am EDT
If you're already going to be in Gatlinburg, I'd plan on fishing in the (GSMNP) Park. Just bear in mind that no bait is permitted on Park streams. Talk to the guiys at the shop, but I'd think you could spend your entire time on the West Fork of the Pigeon and a smaller stream named Roaring Fork and never need to go anywhere else. Both are very close to Gatlinburg. They're both filthy with small to medium size wild rainbows. Almost any fly reasonably well presented will work. I'd have some bigger attractor dries like Stimulators, Wulff-type flies and elk hair caddis and a handful of wooly buggers (black and olive are two good colors) with enough weight to get them down.

I wouldn't worry about the forecast rain within reason. All those streams down there move water like poop through a goose due to their high gradient.
You may run into higher water that requires extra wading care, but I doubt you'll run into much if any discolored or muddy water.

If you can throw a dry fly 20-25 feet with some accuracy, you shouldn't have any problem catching lots of fish. Talk to the shop guys though. They'll have additional ideas. There are literally dozens of small to medium streams with lots and lots of fish.

Have Fun..
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 2, 2019May 2nd, 2019, 11:49 pm EDT
Matt's recommendation is very good for nymphing. I'd carry a few green weenies too, but I'm just partial to them. Lee is, as always, spot on with his advice. You'll catch fish. And you don't necessarily have to see rises. Fishing the water "blind" may bring up some fish that are looking up. Do talk with the guys in local shops, and buy something--flies at a minimum--to support the sport and those who keep us in gear.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Mlatimer
Mlatimer on May 9, 2019May 9th, 2019, 6:16 am EDT
Alrighty boys it took me a minute but here’s the report for the smokies as of last weekend. It rained all day Saturday and The fishing was poor. Sunday it only rained in the morning and fishing was certainly better. Sunday I started off at LeConte creek with a size 16 small pink worm imitation and I managed to hook a small brook about 6” roughly that got off before I could land it. I then moved on to the little pigeon river a spot at the covered bridge near Emerts Cove. Here I caught a NICE 18” rainbow on a size 14 elk hair Caddis. I wish I had taken a picture but I didn’t have my phone on me in the water. He was colored beautifully, so much red he looked more like a cutthroat than a rainbow. The fishing was slow for sure but I blame that on my lack of knowledge of the area more than anything. I’m ready to go back asap and try again.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 9, 2019May 9th, 2019, 6:34 am EDT
Sounds like you did good enough to keep going, so, keep going! The more you work at it the easier it gets, and local knowledge always helps. I have been fishing the same stream for 12 seasons and this river still throws me surprises, so time on the water learning the particular rhythms of your streams will most definitely increase your catch rate.

"I have practiced in a private pond on bluegill..." ALWAYS a good time! Big 'gills will bend your rod over like a bass or trout, and they're usually (but not always) easier to fool. No time is ever wasted fishing for panfish & bass on a fly rod!

Keep at it and here's wishing you tight lines and dancing mayflies & caddis on your next outing!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply