Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Swisssagar
Swisssagar's profile picture
Geneva

Swisssagar on Apr 23, 2017April 23rd, 2017, 1:54 am EDT
Dear members,
Greetings from Geneva, Switzerland. I am Sagar Khavnekar and I am working with a Swiss Fishing reel maker as a part of my business training. We are makers of advanced and next-generation fly fishing reels here in Geneva. We are planning to enter global market and would like to know your valuable opinion. Hence I would like to ask if you could complete our survey on fly fishing reels. Your name is optional but will allow us to offer you an early bird discount when we enter the market.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSclklklXc5yeMSdOwSS0L0fkaghFnF_-Ah1MFgqy17syjvvxw/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

Looking forward to your views and opinions.
Best regards and happy fishing!

Sagar
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Apr 30, 2017April 30th, 2017, 3:23 am EDT
this must be a 'phly phishing 'post...'

bad pun day, 39 degrees out, driving rain, and high winds on the 'opener' weekend has me pretty sour.

wait it out and see about next weekend,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 30, 2017April 30th, 2017, 6:49 am EDT
Haha,

this must be a 'phly phishing 'post...'

I completed the survey and there are many questions. I think the makers are going to market a graphite composite reel (or some other lighter than metal synthetic)

They ask for comments on many of the questions towards the end of the survey and I pointedly told them that many guys with adequate disposable income and an eye for the finer things are not going to buy a composite reel at least not any that look like the ones I have seen.

Big maker rods like Sage, Loomis, and Winston are getting to the point where many of their buyers just won't be able to afford a new rod. Notwithstanding that though many guys already have amassed a nice collection of $400 - $700 fly rods and aren't likely to be putting a $50 graphite reel onto that rod.

One of the questions was quite funny in that it asked "would you buy this reel if it had a GPS, compass, and counter built into it?" I told them that none of my friends or acquaintances would likely be running to buy that reel.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Swisssagar
Geneva

Swisssagar on May 14, 2017May 14th, 2017, 8:32 am EDT
Dear Matt
Thank you for your valuable response.
I would like to draw your attention to our newly launched website where you can have a look at our fly fishing reel.

https://www.mbreels.com/en/

We are looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Best,

Sagar

Swisssagar
Geneva

Swisssagar on May 14, 2017May 14th, 2017, 8:34 am EDT
Dear Roguerat

We would look if you could have a look at our website and let us know your opinion.

https://www.mbreels.com/en/

Thank you and best regards,

Sagar
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 15, 2017May 15th, 2017, 1:22 am EDT
Sagar,

I looked over your website, read the info available, and I'm not all that interested in the product you are representing. Nothing personal, no offense intended but I will stick with reels I'm familiar with or at least heard about vs. an unfamiliar brand with no prices listed or track record to speak of.

I am really impressed with the Lamson Liquid line lately (there's that alliteration thing again) and I can stop by my local Fly Shop for this brand and support the local economy at the same time.

Tight lines, and do you personally use the reel you are selling for your fishing? Just curious...

Sincerely,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 20, 2017May 20th, 2017, 1:40 pm EDT
What is the cost of the reel in US dollars and how much would the shipping cost to the state of Pennsylvania?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply