Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Trout11B
NW Wisconsin

Trout11B on Sep 19, 2011September 19th, 2011, 5:41 pm EDT
Hello all,

A few months ago I was on here (I think) and ran across a link to a site where a guy had been building fly rods, producing hooks, and even coming out with a fly line that seemed to get good reviews. I believe his name began with an R, but since then I have not been able to remember where I was. I know I'm not really giving a lot of info, but maybe somebody can place the missing puzzle pieces.

Thanks
Balancing school, military, relationships, sports and all the other things in my life with fly fishing.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Sep 20, 2011September 20th, 2011, 6:01 am EDT

Wow! I see no possibility of that being possible. I know Alex Jackson has his own model hook that he contracted with (the English hook maker!..ugg! I can't think of the name!) to have them make his hook model, but an individual isn't big enough to create hooks, or a flyline. There are only a few flyline makers, and some of their lines are marketed under another name...like Jim Teeny's lines that were made by SA..I don't know if they still do, but I would imagine SA still makes Jim Teeny's lines. Partridge! That was the English hook maker that made a model hook for Alex Jackson.
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Sep 20, 2011September 20th, 2011, 10:25 am EDT
You may be thinking of "Hook & Hackle" in Homestead, PA. They sell "shop brand" fly line manufactured by Cortland. They also sell shop brand rods etc.
Alec Jackson spey hooks come in odd sizes and are sold by Daiichi.

Hope this helps
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Sayfu
Sayfu on Sep 20, 2011September 20th, 2011, 1:17 pm EDT
Gutcutter...Thanks for the correction. I watched Alex tie on his odd sized hooks both being from the Seattle area. His first models were made by Partridge I am fairly certain, then a problem, and now they are made by Daiichi. As I remember they were gold hooks at the time.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 21, 2011September 21st, 2011, 5:54 am EDT
Our own Shawnny has done some homemade hooks, but I can't remember him experimenting with fly lines or rod construction, but its early yet. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Sep 21, 2011September 21st, 2011, 9:57 am EDT
If it's salmon fly hooks , you may be thinking about Ronn Lucas

Quick Reply