Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNew Hampshire's Lake Region
Specific LocationMountain Streams
Fish CaughtLooking for Brookies and Rainbows

Details and Discussion

CamWolf1313
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

CamWolf1313 on Jun 15, 2008June 15th, 2008, 1:51 pm EDT
I have a lake-house in Andover NH and there are trout in the lake but i have always loved stream fishing. I was wondering if anybody had suggestions where to fish and using what types of flies? Any little bit of information for any part of New Hampshire because i don't mind driving for fish.
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
Vermonter
Vermonter on Jun 19, 2008June 19th, 2008, 1:47 am EDT
Connecticut river!!!!!!!!!!!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 25, 2008June 25th, 2008, 1:59 am EDT
I don't know where Andover is in relation to Conway and Gorham but you could try the Swift river which flows west to east and joins the Saco near Conway. Then there is the Ellis River near Jackson, the Peabody River near Mt. Washington, and the Androscoggin River which starts up in Errol and flows south through Milan, Berlin, and Gorham before it hooks back into Maine.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jun 25, 2008June 25th, 2008, 5:50 am EDT
what about Adironacks? is that drivable
I am haunted by waters
CamWolf1313
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

CamWolf1313 on Jun 26, 2008June 26th, 2008, 3:34 pm EDT
For where I am in new hampshire the Adironacks on about a 3 hour drive but they are close to some relatives and i am planning to take a trip this summer.
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
Zhoule
Zhoule on Jul 22, 2008July 22nd, 2008, 9:42 am EDT
CamWolf1313

Dude, check out the Connecticut river in Pittsburgh NH. The "Trophy Stretch" is particularly attractive from late April (beware of deep water) to october.

Quick Reply