Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Trnnflt has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Trnnflt
Trnnflt's profile picture
Jackson Wyoming

Trnnflt on Jan 1, 2017January 1st, 2017, 10:58 pm EST
Saw this brown mayfly on my door the august morning i arrived in jackson hole at the Elk Refuge Hotel cross the road from flat creek in Jackson Hole.
I'm new to learning about these aquatic insects and wondered what this one is?
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jan 2, 2017January 2nd, 2017, 3:29 am EST
Michael- It looks like a male subimago Callibaetis species.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 2, 2017January 2nd, 2017, 3:31 am EST
Hi Michael-

I believe your avatar image to be that of a male subimago (dun) of genus Callibaetis, which is also known by the common name of Speckledwinged Dun, among numerous others.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply