Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fredw has attached these 4 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Fredw
Vancouver Island, BC

Fredw on Jul 4, 2013July 4th, 2013, 8:12 pm EDT
I believe this may be the dun from my previous post, but would like some clarification. The netting that you see is actually from my landing net.the spacing across three holes in the landing net is 11.74mm. not sure if the first pic is fully emerged

thanks for your help

Fred
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 4, 2013July 4th, 2013, 9:39 pm EDT
Hi Fred,

Yes, I believe it to be a Callibaetis female subimago, but would sure be a lot more comfortable making that call if I could see its hind wing. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 10, 2013July 10th, 2013, 10:42 pm EDT
Hi Fred,

Now that is the way Callibaetis (Speckled Duns) usually look. Fairly confident it is C. ferrugineus hageni. The clear wings on your earlier topic's specimen made me cautious but I have no doubts about this one. Is it the same species? Most likely, as the male spinners can have clear wings without the blotches normally associated with this genus. Its nymphs are very good swimmers and actively dart around in the weeds prior to and during hatching. They are a favorite trout food and by far our most important western stillwater mayfly.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply