Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 3, 2010February 3rd, 2010, 3:24 pm EST
Jason & Falsifly where is this photo from?

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 3, 2010February 3rd, 2010, 5:16 pm EST
Is that the rapids just below Groat Landing?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 12:44 am EST
What is Groat landing? :)
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 12:52 am EST
I know I am screwing up this thread but today's photo in your page header is really obvious! :)

You took a lot of photos from all the bridges along the river. :)
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 4:23 am EST
Is that the rapids just below Groat Landing?

Looks more like the water just below Stinnet Landing but I don’t think that’s the spot.

Stinnet Landing is about 4 miles south of Hayward on 63. Groat landing is 2 miles south of Stinnet at the bridge on Zopp Rd.

Quite a few years ago I spent some time on the lower section between Hayward and Trego. I caught one small fish just upstream from the last bridge on 63 South.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 4:25 am EST
Okay, Stinnet is the one I was thinking of, then, I haven't spent too much time down there below town, and had them mixed up. You're probably right that that's not the spot, either. The river looks a bit small in this picture for that. I could only think of a few spots on the Nam with a rapid chute like that, and most of them I remember don't have such a steep bank, so I'm stuck guessing the ones I don't remember quite so well.

Could it be the outlet of Pacwawong?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 4:42 am EST
Could it be the outlet of Pacwawong?

Bingo!
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 4:54 am EST
Wow, I think I just set a record time for deleting a post. One that I will keep to myself, thank you.

Have you guys caught any fish just below this picture? I've spent little time there, though it does look good, but nothing.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 5:03 am EST
Never, nothing! Horrible spot... forget it. :)
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 7:00 am EST
Thanks John,
It’s always good to have somebody you can trust who has tested those otherwise good looking spots, and confirm them to be fish-less. I will delete that place from my places to try list, saving me from further wasted time on the water. By the way, my places to try list is rather lengthy, if I PM it to you would you please check off all the others that would be a waste of time?
Thanking you in advance,
Falsifly
Falsifly

Quick Reply