Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Rtturnings
Rtturnings on Feb 16, 2018February 16th, 2018, 12:46 pm EST
New member, looking for info on a sage rod.
I bought it maybe late 80's for a Canada trip with a fly fishing friend.
I used it twice on that trip and packed it away and forgot about it.
Cleaned the basement and found it in a corner.
I have no idea what I paid for it, but I doubt I bought a cheap one.
It's a Sage graphite 2 7 weight 9'0" two piece rod.
It says 790 DS on the rod.
It has an aluminum tube that shows wear from being in the canoe for two weeks.
The cloth inside case and the rod look unused.
Is this worth anything?
If it is is there a for sale forum somewhere?
Thanks for any info.
Rob
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 16, 2018February 16th, 2018, 4:20 pm EST
If it is there a for sale forum somewhere?

Try your local Craigslist. There are fly fishing forums with "For Sale" sections but most won't let you post something for sale until you have met a specific number of non sales related posts. I am thinking the DS designation might relate to "Discovery Series" which was a Sage foray into lesser priced rods so if that is what it means the value is probably less than $100. You could try Googling that model and see what comes up.

I was right the "DS" relates to Discovery Series and it was basically an entry level fly rod. I also saw this quote on another web site;

The DS series resale value appears to fall + or - of $100. Very small following for this rod

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Rtturnings
Rtturnings on Feb 16, 2018February 16th, 2018, 11:14 pm EST
Thanks wbranch, that's the info I was looking for.
Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Feb 18, 2018February 18th, 2018, 11:01 pm EST
That was my second Fly rod I bought back in the early 1990's I think. It was an entry rod, good rod to learn on. I bought it at a fly fishing show from a vendor for about $180.00. I used it for 1 year and traded it for a Sage LL 4 wt. Hope that helps.
Rtturnings
Rtturnings on Feb 18, 2018February 18th, 2018, 11:39 pm EST
Thanks hunter1.
That's helpful.
I found a fly fishing shop close to me.
I'm going to take it there.
I don't plan on ever using it and it's silly to leave it in a corner.
Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Feb 20, 2018February 20th, 2018, 10:57 pm EST
Rtturnings, That rod would be perfect to use on small mouth bass, and a very good winter rod for big streamers and such. It will turn over some big bugger's in a 7 wt. I think for what you would get for it, I'd make it work for something. good luck.I wish I still had mine.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 21, 2018February 21st, 2018, 6:43 am EST
I agree, unless you really want the money for some other fishing stuff I would keep it. It has some history to it and it will perform well for many things if you can slow your casting stroke down.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Rtturnings
Rtturnings on Feb 21, 2018February 21st, 2018, 1:08 pm EST
Thanks for the advise,
I've never been a fly fisherman.
I had a buddy that was, he convinced me to try it on one of our trips up north.
I didn't take to it.
I used the rod maybe three times.
It looks unused. It's been gathering dust in a corner for 20+ years.
I'd forgotten about it and found it cleaning the basement.
I have two reels for it and I think I know where they are.
One is a simple reel I bought when I bought the rod.
My friend told me a simple reel is fine, he gave me an old brown reel that has an auto rewind to try.
I really will never use this.
I don't need to sell it, but I'm getting to the age I'd like less stuff hanging around.
I would rather it got used.
I found a local fishing group and I 'll see if there's any interest there.
Thank again for the help.

Quick Reply