Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 11, 2016January 11th, 2016, 1:56 pm EST
If anyone is interested I just posted two rods for sale on the York, PA Craigslist. One is a new custom Gatti FR 865 3PA that I built about six years ago and it has never been fished. The other is a Sage LL 389 that I built with all high end hardware. It is "like new". If anyone is interested please PM me.

I sold the Sage in less than fifteen minutes after I posted it on a fly fishing site with a Classified forum.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 12, 2016January 12th, 2016, 5:13 am EST
I LOVED those Gatti's when I first saw them, quite a few years ago. I appreciate power. How nice it was to see a company that made efficient sticks -none of that nooodly stuff -wasted space IMO.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 30, 2016January 30th, 2016, 8:19 am EST
I'm with you Paul. Don't care for that nooodly stuff. I've been amazed at the versatility of my 9' 3W Cabela's LsI rod. I primarily use it for fishing small flies on small creeks, especially olives and tricos, but when the creeks get low and clear it can cast a mile if need be, and it has enough backbone to handle an 18-19" fish with authority. I seem to recall you have an LsI or two yourself. What are your experiences with them? Are they as fast as the Gatti's?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 30, 2016January 30th, 2016, 8:53 am EST
Hi Louis, I have an LsI 9-5 and 9-10. Have only casted with them, not fished.
Can only compare the Gatti's by memory. I remember the Gatti's were very light and very rigid. I said, "Now this is the way rod's should be -no wasted movement in the blank."
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 30, 2016January 30th, 2016, 1:06 pm EST
Now this is the way rod's should be -no wasted movement in the blank."

I have ten of them from #4 to #8 (have quite a few #4 & #5) the two piece are very fast and light but I wouldn't call them stiff. The three piece (PA Series) is more forgiving and somewhat parabolic. Both series are very light in the hand. They were lighter ten years ago then some high end rods are now.

Since they are made in Italy and the Euro is down in value you can get their best rods for around $350.00.

I sold the Sage in about 10 minutes but still have two Gatti's for sale. I'm a motivated seller.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Fisherdave
Gun Barrel City, tx

Fisherdave on Nov 17, 2017November 17th, 2017, 1:58 pm EST
Hey, everybody. Dave @ Cedar Creek Lake here. Just came across a fly rod in my Grandpa's old garage that I need info on?? A Sage Hi-Modulus Fiberglass B676-4SFS from i thank 1983 in (mint condition) in a old Rod Cady tube , but no luck locating any information on this specific rod online. Anybody out there have any idea of worth, rarity, i would like to sale any help would be nice thanks
found online that its from 1983. i listed pic in Troutnut Forum > Photography

Quick Reply