Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Cdcaddis18
Huntington, PA

Cdcaddis18 on Jul 3, 2009July 3rd, 2009, 3:34 am EDT
Am wanting to buy a 9' #4 4 piece for travel and don't want any high end/high price rods. Have seen good reports on both these rods in that length and was wondering if any forum members have either of these rods in either 8' 6" or 9' in either #4 or #5 and what are your opinions of the rod? How are they for 25' casts?, 40' casts?, are they nicely finished?, are the wraps high quality? - how is the epoxy finish obn the guides. Would you buy another of either of these rods? Thanks.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 3, 2009July 3rd, 2009, 7:19 am EDT
Hi Cdcaddis18, I haven't cast either of the rods you name, but I own several TFO rods, including a "TiCr" and several "Professional" models. I like the Professional series a lot for their medium fast action. The "TuCr" is a very fast rod, perhaps a bit too fast for my taste, though I've fished it successfully. From what I understand, the "Finesse" rods are a slower action than even the "Professional" series. The cosmetics are good on the rods I own, and I like the black matte finish, which is not at all shiny. I'd bet the cosmetics on the Finesse rods are even better, given that they are higher end rods, designed more for sensitivity and accuracy than for distance. I'd say if you are ever near Bob Clouser's shop in Middletown, PA, he can give you the lowdown on the rods, and may have some to cast available. I don't know where you might look up your way. Good luck. Perhaps someone here has more experience with the rods you are asking about.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Pdq5oh
Ohio

Pdq5oh on Jul 5, 2009July 5th, 2009, 1:09 am EDT
Cdc18, I have two Finesse rods. Both are shorter than what you're looking at. My 7'9" 4wt casts great. In close it's very accurate, and lays the fly down softly. I can easily put out 40 or more ft of line just as softly. I have a somewhat easy (maybe lazy) casting stroke. The Finesse rods work very well, for me. Fit and finish is very good, IMO. Sorry I haven't fished the longer rods you're looking at. I'd expect the 9'er to be a bit slower than my shorter rod. I have cast the Echo rods and liked the TFOs better.
Phil

Quick Reply