Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 4, 2012November 4th, 2012, 3:52 am EST
Hello all steelhead lovers! Kind of a last minute posting hear to see if anyone is interested in joining me for 2 - 3 days on the Erie creeks. I have reservations at the Sunset Motel for Mon & Tue with a possible Wed if it is good. Preferably looking for someone between York & State College that is willing to split on gas, for the miles we drive back & forth, and on the motel.

I've fished the major Erie creeks for four years and know my way around well. Elk is still in very fishable condition based on the flow at Brandy Run which is currently at 14 cfs. When Brandy is 6 - 13 cfs Elk will be green and good flow.

Leaving York at midnight tonight. PM me with phone number if interested in joining me if you live in York, Lancaster, Harrisburg, or anywhere along Rte 322 up to State College. I get 27 mpg on the highway so your share of gas will be modest.

Motel is $23 + tax per night/person.

Update on steelhead trip;

Monday - Hooked 14, landed 10
Tuesday - Hooked 10, landed 7
Wednesday - Hooked 7, landed 4

Two best fish were one hen of about 8# and an awesome male, of about 9#, with just a hint of a red stripe that ran 200' up the Cascade Pool on Elk and fought a solid ten minutes before I could tail him.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Nov 8, 2012November 8th, 2012, 12:13 pm EST
Nice report and Glad you had a good trip.
See any browns during your adventure?
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 8, 2012November 8th, 2012, 3:02 pm EST
John,

Saw a fellow next to me hook and land a very dark brown of about 6#. Fought like a wet dish rag. Talked to another guy who told me he caught five browns on one of the mile creeks.

BTW the creeks are pretty low and no rain is in the forecast. Unless you live within an hour of the area, or are a glutton for punishment, I'd not take a trip at this time. You can see my hooking numbers fell off each day I was there and to hook fish I had to fish the deeper pools.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply