Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Willmilne has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 8:02 am EST
Hi whilst doing some high magnification images of a mayfly specimen I noticed what appear to be eggs attached to the head. I'm curious if anyone could offer a suggestion as to what they are or even if they are eggs. I understand there are stonefly parasites is this also true of mayflies?

cheers

Will
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 8:42 am EST
I'm not sure what those are base on the picture, but I often see mystery things attached to specimens. Sometimes, these are a fungus, and rarely they are aquatic mites. A frequent thing I see is little pale pouches of "goo" that appear as an artifact of the fixation and preservation process.

These could be eggs of some kind, but what kind I do not know. Might even be eggs from another mayfly. Many of these adhere to whatever happens to be on the stream bottom, even if it is another living thing.

By the way, is that a Baetisca mayfly?

Quick Reply