Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Pookie025 has attached these 6 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Pookie025
Pookie025 on Mar 21, 2015March 21st, 2015, 2:40 pm EDT
Today i turned over some rocks and found these insects. Im having a hard time identifying them. Also can you please recommend what fly to use. Thanks
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Mar 21, 2015March 21st, 2015, 5:16 pm EDT
Hello, I'm guessing, your photo's, I myself cannot see it good & it small. Early swimming nymph, crawler, guess, swimming Ephemerella.,subvaria. Go to this site & look at the hatchs. You have it fresh in your head, you'll find it. Try what I thought it could be.
Then take it from there., put the work in you'll find it. Or maybe one of the guy's later will help ya. This early, ah!!, look at Troutnuts nice work him & others have posted. That is part fishing on the fly
finding, looking, & scraching the top of your head,huh!!!!
good luck, later Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 21, 2015March 21st, 2015, 7:38 pm EDT
From the top your first picture is a stonefly, probably a Taeniopterygidae. Your second picture no idea what it could be, the third is a mayfly of some sort, the fourth and fifth are two different caddisflies, and the sixth is a repeat of the second.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Pookie025
Pookie025 on Mar 22, 2015March 22nd, 2015, 7:54 am EDT
I want to take better pictures. What do you guys reconmend for a camera setup. Thanks

Quick Reply