Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jun 7, 2008June 7th, 2008, 3:12 am EDT
Do we have a fly recipe folder on Troutnut we can refer to for pattern ideas? I always enjoy seeing how other people tie their patterns and I'd be glad to share mine.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 7, 2008June 7th, 2008, 6:00 am EDT
No specific folder just for recipes, but some have posted recipes in the general Fly Tying Discussion Forum. Browse different threads and you'll see some of my patterns. My most original ones are probably my upside down CDC Caddis, My reverse parachute Trico, and the Hairy Honeybug recipe posted most recently.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Streamcaddi
West Michigan

Streamcaddi on Jun 26, 2008June 26th, 2008, 1:17 am EDT
Would it take to have a fly recipe folder on this site?. This site is a knockout now but it would be great if they had a recipe folder..
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 26, 2008June 26th, 2008, 2:18 am EDT
Hi,
Jason does have a web site for posting photos and recipes of flies. I'm not sure if you want to post just recipes/dressings or a photo, too. At any rate look at:

http://www.hacklehead.com

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply