Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 29, 2020January 29th, 2020, 11:40 pm EST
I have been searching the web for some patterns or material ideas for blue quill (paraleptophleblia) emerger or dun. The only thing Ive seen are catskill style patterns, Im wondering if there aren't some more updated recipes out there? If anyone has a pattern to share let me know.
Thanks, Mike.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jan 30, 2020January 30th, 2020, 1:42 am EST
Mike,

I've had good results with single-wing patterns such as Harrops' Hair-wing Dun and the basic Thorax ties for fishing duns.

I think any emerger pattern scaled to proper size and using P Adoptiva colors would work, I've used generic versions for a while now as well. Check Ann Miller's book for nymph coloration and go with a half-and-half nymph/dun hybrid, I use a 3x long shank dry hook for these. Lots of room to play around here, variations on a theme so to speak. Bend the hook shank for a crippled fly, tie the wings on one side only, no end to it.

Sound like you're thinking of Spring, too! I've had cabin fever for a month now, driving my wife crazy...

tight lines when you finally get out,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 30, 2020January 30th, 2020, 3:49 am EST
Roguerat, I have Ann,s book and went to seminar last year at nomad anglers she did, wonderful person! Im wanting to put together flyboxes for each season per Anns description. She really broke it down well for fishing here in Michigan. So Im gonna go in there and see what I can create, I don't know about you but Im really tired of gray days, and high water. I would go up and fish, but the water I want to fish is just not wadeable for me. Im looking at maybe next week if we don't get some crazy weather before then. Thanks for the ideas and lets hope the ground hog sees his shadow!
Mike
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 30, 2020January 30th, 2020, 3:16 pm EST
Mike,

If you PM me your email address I will send some pictures of my Paralep emergers and duns.

Matt
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BoulderWork
BoulderWork on Jan 31, 2020January 31st, 2020, 9:17 am EST
CDC Blue Quill Emerger

- Hook- #16-#18 tmc 2487 Wapsi SE 1
- Thread-grey or black
- Shuck-brown z-lon
- Body-stripped peacock quill
- Wing-natural dun CDC
- Thorax-Beaver fur

Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 31, 2020January 31st, 2020, 9:22 am EST
Wow Boulderwork, thanks for the recipe, Im going to this one a go!
Mike.
BoulderWork
BoulderWork on Feb 1, 2020February 1st, 2020, 10:36 pm EST
Partsman,

Your are welcome.

FYI, consider:

(1) Using Snowshoe Rabbits foot instead of CDC. More durable, can be doped up with floatant and less high maintenance than CDC.

(2) Consider soaking quills in water via damp cloth/paper towel before wrapping over a lightly coated thread base of Zap cement (thread underbody) before wrapping quill.

BW

Quick Reply