Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wolve
Wolve on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 12:32 am EST
I am trying to tie a female adult early black stone. I want a fly that will look like it is laying eggs at or in the surface of the water. The pattern I am working on calls for wood duck underwing with dark grey duck overwing flaired. I am not sure how to flair the duck wings on this fly. I tied one with standard duck quill wings on the side but somehow it doesn't look right. I think the pattern means strands of a duck feather but I am not sure. Can anyone help me out?
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 1:56 am EST
Perhaps if you could name the exact nomenclature of the fly pattern, more concise advice could be given...

In general, though, most reciepes will specify quill barbs vs. quill segments. In tying a flared (delta) wing each wing is tied on seperately at the desired angle, then one or two half figure 8 wraps to make final adjustments.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.

Quick Reply