Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Isonychia bicolor (Isonychiidae) (Mahogany Dun) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Kenlindblom
Kenlindblom on Jul 26, 2013July 26th, 2013, 5:24 pm EDT
I have seen Isos with the forward edge of their wings an olive color. These were also on the upper East Branch. I tied some using a permanent marker to tint the leading edges olive. But, it seems that the standard pattern works as well.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 26, 2013July 26th, 2013, 6:52 pm EDT
Welcome aboard, Ken. Isonychia seem to come in a wide variety of wing colors. Sounds like the ones you observed on the upper East Branch may have looked something like this:

Incidentally, you might want to update your profile with location info so folks aren't forced to guess what part of the world you are from.

Best regards,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Kenlindblom
Kenlindblom on Jul 27, 2013July 27th, 2013, 8:57 am EDT
The leading edges were a much more prominent green, covering about 25-30 %. The green was quite bright, not a subdued olive.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 28, 2013July 28th, 2013, 6:02 am EDT
Upper East Branch of the Delaware?

The Iso body colors seem to vary a great deal as well, from green to gray to dark brown.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply