Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 10, 2011May 10th, 2011, 3:12 pm EDT
alrite guys, is this an american forum only or not? just new to this AMAZING sport since nov 2010 and love it! just bought a greys grxi+ rod any1 know much about these? thanks in advance. tight lines and screamin reels
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 10, 2011May 10th, 2011, 3:53 pm EDT
Welcome! This isn't just an American forum, although that's where the majority of us are from. We happily accept members from other countries, other planets (especially other planets), etc.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 11, 2011May 11th, 2011, 6:30 am EDT
im from another country and a different planet- planet trout. haha
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 11, 2011May 11th, 2011, 8:01 am EDT
Flyman85-

im from another country and a different planet- planet trout. haha

Funny. Actually, many of us here are from that planet. So, what country are you from? Do you fish rivers or lakes? What kind of trout have you caught? Do you fish dry flies or sub-surface flies?

Best regards,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 3:10 pm EDT
hey there, thanks for the reply, im from northeast england, i started with my mate on stillwaters for rainbows and whenever work is shy i fish my local river for grayling and brown trout.had a nice rainbow the other week- 8lb on a black blakestone buzzer size 14,was well chuffed!haha, from leighton resorvoir, 105 acres it is.my river the tees is ok and even gets a salmon run. iv fished for carp since being a boy but now iv got the fly BUG, iv emptied the library and bought a good few books too. you only get out what you put into anything! best fish to date from the river was a beautiful brownie approx 18-20 inch, but the mate i started with was telling me 5-8 inch was the norm in this river for fly, its good for chub and barbel. wot about you? same questions,look forward to hearing from you
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 3:54 pm EDT
thats a cracking arctic grayling troutnut-nice1
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 3:58 pm EDT
taxon- forgot to mention,i fish both, caught the brownie on the gud old adams dryfly but also use ptn and hares ear nymphs etc. also enjoy fishing buzzers with a dry as an indicator such as a cdc hopper on stillwater or adams on river, what type of rods do you use?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 8:18 pm EDT
Hi Flyman85-

hey there, thanks for the reply, im from northeast england, i started with my mate on stillwaters for rainbows and whenever work is shy i fish my local river for grayling and brown trout.had a nice rainbow the other week- 8lb on a black blakestone buzzer size 14,was well chuffed!haha, from leighton resorvoir, 105 acres it is.my river the tees is ok and even gets a salmon run. iv fished for carp since being a boy but now iv got the fly BUG, iv emptied the library and bought a good few books too. you only get out what you put into anything! best fish to date from the river was a beautiful brownie approx 18-20 inch, but the mate i started with was telling me 5-8 inch was the norm in this river for fly, its good for chub and barbel. wot about you? same questions,look forward to hearing from you

Well, I mostly fish lakes for rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and brook trout, Although preferring to use dry flies whenever practical, more often than not, I end up fishing subsurface flies. I too enjoy fishing chironomid imitations (buzzers). Regarding flyrods, mine are Sage, which is a local manufacturer.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 1:51 am EDT
so you,l use number 7 or 8 weight lines? i use 6 on river and 7/8 for the stillwater. i love the look of the brookies they are beautifull,cutthroat? any pics? my favourites are the browns like but in the stillwaters its mainly rainbows due to cost. i fish a smaller lake called tanfield which has an awesome hatch and full of signal crayfish which makes the trout fight amazingly. iv been using a shimano biocraft and shakespeare rod for now but as we speak im waiting and praying my new greys grxi+ rod turns up for the weekend!haha. do you tie your own flies? i just5 tie my lures for now but guna buy some buzzer hooks and give them a go as the early season lure pulling is done now, i tie cats whisker,blobs and fritzy type lures
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 2:54 am EDT
Flyman85-

For smaller streams, I use a 4 weight rod and line. And for larger rivers and stillwaters, I use a 6 weight rod and lines. Although I don't take fish photos, you should be able to find lots of cutthroat trout pictures on this forum. Yes, I tie my own flies, not particularly artistically, but they seem to work. And you should probably try to forget about delivery of that new rod, as "a watched pot never boils."
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 6:54 am EDT
yeeeeeeeeeeeeha, it came this morning and only ordered on wednesday at 4.30pm. absolutely over the moon with it! like your phrase of the watched pot!hahaha. what type do you tie then? buzzers etc as said before i can only tie lures to date but only been into the sport for approx 6mts. how much you pay to fish in us? for what bag limit?
for me my favourite 2 are leighton resorvoir dusk till dawn £21 4 fish or tanfield lodge £14 4 fish 8am till dusk, my local river is a free stretch but obviously requires an ea rod licence,
are the streams and brooks free for you guys?
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 6:57 am EDT
my nickname between me and my mates is manboy!haha because iv done it a short time but put so much effort into readind and learning and im pretty advanced for a newcomer(without being bigheaded)! tight lines
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 7:29 am EDT
Ho!
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 7:39 am EDT
@paul roberts
ho? what do you mean?
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 7:43 am EDT
the brookie must be a relative of the char then? white edged fins? can you list all the trout that you can fish for in your area in the wild please?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 8:22 am EDT
Flyman85-

yeeeeeeeeeeeeha, it came this morning and only ordered on wednesday at 4.30pm. absolutely over the moon with it!

Funny. Can hardly wait to see what expression surfaces if you ever actually get excited about something.

like your phrase of the watched pot!hahaha.

Yeah, it probably dates me, as both it and I are a bit ancient.

what type do you tie then?

Pretty much anything that will attract a trout, I guess.

how much you pay to fish in us?

In Washington (WA), which is in the NW corner of our 48 contiguous states, a resident annual freshwater fishing license is $24, but it varies by state, and if you travel outside your state (of residence) to fish, it is generally necessary to purchase a (more expensive) non-resident fishing license for each state in which you fish. So, that can get pretty expensive in a big hurry.

for what bag limit?

In WA, it depends of the classification of the water, and even the time of year, and there so many exceptions that it takes a 1/2 inch thick set of fishing regulations to describe them all. However, it is generally either (5), or only (1), which has to be over 14 inches for streams, or over 18 inches for lakes, or (0) can be retained (catch and release only).

are the streams and brooks free for you guys?

In WA, nearly all moving water is is public, which means that there is no fee to fish it once one has purchased a license. And, that is also true for the vast majority of our lakes. However, there are some privately owned (and stocked) lakes, where either a pricey rod fee is charged, and you can't retain the fish, and others where all caught trout must be retained, and you are changed for any trout you you catch.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 11:34 am EDT
im calm and collected on the bank haha. i release all river fish but take the odd stockie, my mate once said that stockies are easy but wont take my challenge of getting 20-30 well they are easy right? not, they soon become wild and difficult, iv had a few wintered fish aswell,the 8lber i got was 25inch and really fat, might not be a good fish to experienced fisherman but i was pleased and thats all that counts to me!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 12:04 pm EDT
@paul roberts
ho? what do you mean?

I like to welcome new people, but am really busy right now. I got really cheap with my time on this one: 'Ho' was short for "Hey Ho" -which is a "Hello". Has nothing to do with prostitution lol.

Also, since I am the proud holder of the Troutnut Tostoy Award I feel challenged to answer --occasionally-- in as short a form as I can. I think I broke my record with that one.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 12:31 pm EDT
I think I broke my record with that one.

You sure did...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 12:51 pm EDT
on leaders is x5 the breaking strain? in england we do it in lbs. any uk users on here?????????????

Quick Reply