Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on May 26, 2010May 26th, 2010, 2:21 pm EDT
well
for all of you global warming skeptics out there, check out the unseasonable weather in the northwest.
anybody heading out there this summer will really have to check the flows beforehand...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 27, 2010May 27th, 2010, 1:04 pm EDT
Wouldn't that more appropriately be called Montana and Washington localized warming, perhaps even Montana and Washington localized and seasonal warming? I mean, global means global. Just saying...

We've had a lot of global cooling going on in Central Pennsylvania this past year. We'll see if it's enough to persuade all the climatologists at Penn State to recant.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 27, 2010May 27th, 2010, 1:53 pm EDT
Shawn,

Apart from whether it should have been characterized as local, regional, or global, I believe Tony's observation was tongue-in-cheek, as we (in WA, at least) have been suffering through an unseasonably "cold" spell of late.

Of course, global warming may also be somewhat of a misnomer, as even though the average temperature of the planet may increase, that doesn't necessarily mean the average temperature of every location on the planet will increase.

I might have been tempted in the past to say this was just my two cents worth, but given the rate on inflation, it may be actually worth as much as a nickel by now. Or not.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 27, 2010May 27th, 2010, 3:25 pm EDT
Ah, I didn't catch the irony in his statement. I grow tired of people looking at today's weather for their particular locale and saying either, "See, it's warming!" or "See, it's not warming!"

My apologies, Gutcutter.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply