Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Artistic view of a Female Ephemera guttulata (Ephemeridae) (Green Drake) Mayfly Dun from the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
For years after I started this website, I was eagerly hoping to find a green drake to add to the collection, but I was never in the right part of the world at the right time. It finally happened on June 1st, 2007.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 24, 2009February 24th, 2009, 10:12 am EST
I can't seem to be able to find my Green Drake/Brown Drake fly box....might of left it someplace or maybe it is up in my cabin but in case it is lost (over 100 emergers, duns, and spinmners) I was wondering what you PA/NY fishers use for the body? Specifically what color? do any of you color the dorsal side with brown indelible ink? I do and rib the abdomen with brown cotton thread. Thanks. A picture would be helpful.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Feb 24, 2009February 24th, 2009, 2:40 pm EST
I dont have a picture but here's my recipe.

green drake comparadun-

Tail- moose mane
body- blend of white, insect green, and olive wapsi rabbit dub
rib- white cotton embroidery floss
wing- dun coastal deer hair

spinner

tail- moose mane
body- white wapsi dub
rib - white embroidery floss
wing- dun coastal deer hair tied spent

I have used black ribbing in the past and it worked fine, but after looking at jason's pics I switched to a white ribbing because it seemed more accurate, and it has worked fine as well. I typically don't worry about the top color of my dries because i'm not yet convinced that it matters.
Flytyer0423
germansville PA

Flytyer0423 on Jan 28, 2010January 28th, 2010, 1:16 am EST
what i like for green drakes is using a olive-brown body with four or five long tails, i usually use moose mane, and a medium to dark brown hackle, sometimes i like to throw in a couple wraps of olive hackle between the brown, and wings i use a olive dyed mallard flank.
(vistit my website @) www.natureboyoutdoors.weebly.com
Flytyer0423
germansville PA

Flytyer0423 on Jan 28, 2010January 28th, 2010, 1:16 am EST
what i like for green drakes is using a olive-brown body with four or five long tails, i usually use moose mane, and a medium to dark brown hackle, sometimes i like to throw in a couple wraps of olive hackle between the brown, and wings i use a olive dyed mallard flank.
(vistit my website @) www.natureboyoutdoors.weebly.com
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Jan 28, 2010January 28th, 2010, 2:39 am EST
In all the years I spent fishing the drake on PA freestones (an important distinction), I never used anything but a simple Gray Fox Variant (Flick) and can't say I ever had a refusal that could be attributed to inexact imitation. Always did well on it and it's a pleasant fly to tie and an easy fly to dry with a single false cast.

The pattern/photo is everywhere online; here's one example:

http://flytyingworld.com/fly-detail-58-GrayFoxVariant%28A.Flick%29.html

In all the years I spent fishing the drake on PA limestones, I never did well on anything but a #16 sulfur comparadun...:) That is to say, it was always my experience that the fish preferred the sulfurs which were almost invariably mixed in with the drakes on the water.

All the same, a lot of the guys I knew who fished the drake on Penns or Big Fishing swore by a Wulff-style pattern with a moose body tail, split greenish/yellow deer or calf for the wing, a white to off-cream body and a ginger/grizzly hackle mix. Usually, they were able to bring up several fish before switching to a sulfur and starting to really pound them as a result...:)

Quick Reply